Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help Blocking YouTube on Orbi RBR50

th3sp3ck
Guide

Help Blocking YouTube on Orbi RBR50

My kid's YouTube watching has gotten out of hand during distance learning school hours and I can't for the life of me figure out how to block YouTube at the router level.  It seems like what I've done in the Advanced Settings -> Security -> Block Sites should work but it isnt.   See screenshot for details. What am I missing???

I have an Orbi RBR50 with Firmware V2.5.2.4.  

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DeanB1452
Apprentice

With the Circle app, you can block specific websites for your kids' profiles too.  Go to your child's profile, block YouTube, then select Custome Filter where you can add websites.  Make sure you save the settings to the profile before exiting out.  You can also select History and block sites visited from there too.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, you have encountered the reason why Orbi's Block Sites feature is worthless:

It blocks ONLY http.  It does not block https.

I fear the only solution is some sort of "Parental Controls", which might be:

• Using features from OpenDNS (free and subscription versions)
  • Activating Disney Circle, which has an annual fee
  • Activating Netgear's "new" Parental Controls which is available on the very latest firmware versions.
  • Installing a seprate DNS server, such as Pi-Hole which can be set up to block almost anything.
    This requires either a computer (I use a Raspberry Pi) or something like the Amazon Cloud.
    This also can be defeated if the kids are able to reconfigure their devices to use a different DNS.

Caveat: I have never implemented Parental Controls.  As a "first step", you might want to browse the Netgear community form for Disney Circle and see what people who are interested in Parental Controls have to say about that product and alternatives they have considered:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle 

Message 2 of 7
th3sp3ck
Guide

Thank you for answering this for me, and yes a totally worthless feature from Orbi?!! It was driving me crazy.

I tried the integrated Circle parental control - also rather worthless - seems to let me block the YouTube App but not the website. 

I started looking into OpenDNS but havent figured that out yet.  I'll look into the Pi-Hole as well. 

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 7
DeanB1452
Apprentice

With the Circle app, you can block specific websites for your kids' profiles too.  Go to your child's profile, block YouTube, then select Custome Filter where you can add websites.  Make sure you save the settings to the profile before exiting out.  You can also select History and block sites visited from there too.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@th3sp3ck wrote:

I tried the integrated Circle parental control - also rather worthless - seems to let me block the YouTube App but not the website. 

I notice there has been a response already from someone who actually uses Circle.  There is a good chance that you could find references to how Circle users handle Youtube (and other common annoyances) by searching the Circle forum. (Box in the upper left of the web page)

(I can't recommend any form of Parental Controls, because I have never attempted to implement any.  People who follow the Circle forum obviously have interest in the subject.)

Message 5 of 7
th3sp3ck
Guide

It worked! Thanks for the directions on how to get Circle to work. 

A few questions:

• Which version of Ciricle and the Circle App do you recommend?
  • Using the method you described,  can this be part of a "schedule"?
  • What or where is the best place to learn how to use Circle?

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7