Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help! Inconsistent internet and basically unusable WiFi RBR50

RouterMan123
Aspirant

Help! Inconsistent internet and basically unusable WiFi RBR50

Hello,

In the morning today, my Orbi started acting up. I have an RBR50 as the router, with an RBS50 satellite. All throughout today, the internet has been extremely inconsistent. Speeds will vary extremely, and sometimes the orbi completely disconnects from the internet. When the speeds are extremely low or 0, I can't even contact the orbi router form my computer, at orbilogin.net or 10.0.0.1. I also have a 3D printer with a wi-fi feature that I control via the wifi from my computer. This functionality is lost when the orbi loses internet. To clarify the internet loss, The only indication of internet loss I have is when my wifi on my computer indicates no internet. I cannot confirm the orbi has lost internet because I have not been able to check the status of the internet during this downtime. Does anyone know whats going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Are you able to connect the computer to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable?  If so, lack of WiFi will not prevent using the Orbi web interface to see what is going on.

How is the Orbi connected to the internet?  (i.e. what make/model of modem/router is it connect to?)

Is the Orbi in "router" or "AP" mode?

Typically, the Orbi assigns itself the IP address 192.168.1.1 and acts as the gateway to the internet for all devices connected to it.  10.0.0.1 is used when the Orbi is connected to another router which has already taken 192.168.1.1

Message 2 of 13
RouterMan123
Aspirant

Yes, I am able to connect via an Ethernet cable, however the system works as follows: the orbi wires into a switch which distributed Ethernet connections to the house.

I don’t know the exact name, but it is an AT&T Modem, which directly links to the orbi internet in. The orbi is in Router mode and the AT&T router is not used besides a gateway to the orbi from the outside world.

Also, when the system is working okay-ish(as in normal until the issue gets fixed), the only way to access the Orbi router is via orbilogin.net. 10.0.0.1 will not work, and 192.168.1.1 will not work.

Another interesting issue besides the inconsistent internet speeds: Devices connected to the orbi via WiFi and Ethernet have a very hard time communicating with each-other. For example, my 3D printed is connected via WiFi, and to connect to it you simply enter Its local IP address in your browser. To improve this I port forwarded the printer globally, meaning I can access it anywhere with a global IP. The interesting part is after the issue with the orbi started I have been unable to connect to my printer via the local IP. Rather, I have to use the global port forwarded IP address to connect. The connection is also extremely slow and spotty. This is the same for any device at home, like printers and Alexa.
Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

When you access the Orbi, how does the Advanced Home Page describe:

Router Information:  IP Address

Internet Port: IP Address

Message 4 of 13
RouterMan123
Aspirant

IP Address: 172.16.0.1

There is no internet port reading anywhere on the home page. There is a LAN Port line, however to the right of it is blank. LAN Port is in bold.

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@RouterMan123 wrote:

IP Address: 172.16.0.1

There is no internet port reading anywhere on the home page. There is a LAN Port line, however to the right of it is blank. LAN Port is in bold.

I've attached a screen shot of my Orbi Advanced Tab->Advanced Home screen.  Under LAN Port is the MAC address of the Orbi and the IP address which it is using on the "LAN Side" of the Orbi.  Mine is 192.168.1.1  What is yours?

Message 6 of 13
RouterMan123
Aspirant

Oh, I just realized what you were talking about.

Router Information --> IP Address: 172.16.0.1

Internet Port --> IP Address: This is my public IP meaning I will not display it here, however it is normal and has always been what it is displayed as now.

Message 7 of 13
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Let me make sure I understand your setup first.

Is this your setup?:
ATT Modem/Router --> Orbi --> Switch --> All other ethernet devices

From your comments, I suspect the ATT modem is also a router (probably with 4 LAN ports). If this is the case, have you made sure that the ATT router's DHCP (and NAT) has been turned off ?

I ask, because this sounds like a system trying to run two DHCP servers on the same network. This would definitely cause the symptoms you describe.

Running the Orbi in AP mode will allow the ATT router to serve IP addresses to the entire network (including providing the Orbi with its IP addresses) Conversely, disabling DHCP on the ATT modem/router will allow the Orbi to operate in Router mode and perform DHCP functions for the rest of the network.

Does this seem like a reasonable place to start checking?

Message 8 of 13
RouterMan123
Aspirant

This is my current setup:

|--->Switch ---> Any device with cable

ATT Modem/Router(**) --> Orbi --|

|--->Wifi devices attached

**Via ethernet cable, No other devices connected.

Yes, this sounds like a good plan. However, upon navigating to the DHCP page and even Wifi page on the ATT router, they simply won't load, meaning I can't view any of the settings or contents from these menus. However, on the home page of the ATT, it indicates its 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi's are active. 

Message 9 of 13
Steedvlx600
Luminary

I am not familiar with that ATT Router. So, I cannot advise on how to access it. But, I still think you need to find a way in to disable the DHCP server. Or else connect your switch to the ATT router and use the Orbi in AP mode.

Good Hunting!

Message 10 of 13
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Also, the Wifi on the ATT router... That should probably go as well since you will be using the Orbi for Wifi

Message 11 of 13
Gudel2
Apprentice

Hi! have you tried setting your modem in passthrough mode?

Message 12 of 13

@Gudel2 wrote:

Hi! have you tried setting your modem in passthrough mode?

This is the first time anyone has suggested that strategy in this saga. Good call.

It seems obvious that the cause of this problem is that @RouterMan123 lives up to their tag and has two routers on the network.

Bad idea. Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As @Steedvlx600 says,. one option ois to p[ut the Orbi into AP mode. A lot of people do that because they have also routers that  useful features, such as providing ReadyShare.

As @Gudel2 says, another good option is to use "passthrough" mode, or what is known as bridge mode. In either case, it disables the router bit of the modem/router.

@CrimpOn did ask about the model of the modem router. The answer was not clear.

I don’t know the exact name, but it is an AT&T Modem, which directly links to the orbi internet in. The orbi is in Router mode and the AT&T router is not used besides a gateway to the orbi from the outside world.

What does that mean?

The word "gateway" is confusing. It often refers to a modem/router with telephone sockets. Tell people what the "modem" is – I have yet to see a device that does not have its model on a label – and we should be able to solve this one in minutes.

Or just look at the model number and Google it along with "bridge modem".

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7