Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help!! RBR50 enable parental control and messed up HP Chromebook internet

Timweb
Aspirant

Help!! RBR50 enable parental control and messed up HP Chromebook internet

I posted this early but i think it was in the wrong section, sorry. ButI have had this Orbi set up for about 2 years now with no problems with any device (up to 60 different devices). Last Thurdays i updated the Orbi to the newest firmeware becuase i haven't checked it in awhile. Before the update, i was able to go in and turn the internet off to certain devices like my son's ipad and Chromebook. After the update i noticed i could not do that anymore until i turn on the Parental Controls. So i said ok i wll cause I need to control my sons time on the internet. Since then all the other devices worked fine but the HP Chromebook. By the app, the Chromebook device was turned on for internet, but if the chromebook is closed or goes to sleep and then turned on, it would not have the internet (the chromebook would show connected to my network). I then turned it off and on for hours trying to get it to work. I restarted the Chromebook , restarted the Orbi app and sometimes was able to get the cromebook to work on the internet but if left alone later would not have internet again. So i was worried about my son's chromebook not workng for school and decided to just disable the Parental Controls. After disabling the Parental Controls, all other devices work fine but the Chromebook. Wtih the Parental controls disabled, and try going to a web page on the chromeboook , the screen will show a "Your connection is not private screen" and saying the website cert is invalid. It will do this for every page, google, yahoo, weather channel etc. So now my son's chromebook is basically bricked from the internet. I am having to use my moblie phone as an hotspot so he can do his school work. Can someone plaeas help me! I know if I try calling Netgear, there is no way I can explain this situartion. I haven't tried resetting the Orbi yet because I would probally have to re-enter the SSID's and PW's on a ton of devices. Please help!  Any info will be welcomed! Thanks!

Tim 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Timweb
Aspirant

Re: Help!! RBR50 enable parental control and messed up HP Chromebook internet

Thanks! I ended up reverting back to the firmware before the newest one that it updated too. The app now looks like it used too and is back to the circle. I rebooted the chrome book and now the internet works. I guess I just will leave it at it’s current firmware and not update it again!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version did you update too? 

Are you using Armor or Circle? 

Message 2 of 8
Timweb
Aspirant

It upgraded to the v2.7.0.70. The orange update tab was on the front page of the app for a long time. So last week I decided to update it , so I hit the button. After it was done is when I noticed I couldn’t just go into the device tab to turn devices off and that I had to enable the parental controls.
Message 3 of 8
Timweb
Aspirant

And no I wasn’t using armor or circle, I was just going into the device tab to turn off my son’s devices.
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

V70 has some new parental controls. 

I would factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch.

Be sure to clear out all browser caches as well.

Message 5 of 8
Timweb
Aspirant

Thank you! I think I’m going to manually upload the older firmware and see it that works before I do the factory rest as a last resort!
Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be resetting before or after you downgrade. 

Message 7 of 8
Timweb
Aspirant

Thanks! I ended up reverting back to the firmware before the newest one that it updated too. The app now looks like it used too and is back to the circle. I rebooted the chrome book and now the internet works. I guess I just will leave it at it’s current firmware and not update it again!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7