Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help!! RBR50 enable parental control and messed up HP Chromebook internet

Timweb
Aspirant

Help!! RBR50 enable parental control and messed up HP Chromebook internet

I have had this Orbi set up for about 3 or 4 years now with no problems with any device (up to 60 different devices). Last Thurdays i updated the Orbi to the newest firmeware becuase i haven't checked it in awhile. Before the update, i was able to go in and turn the internet off to certain devices like my son's ipad and Chromebook. After the update i noticed i could not do that anymore until i turn on the Parental Controls. So i said ok i wll cause I need to control my sons time on the internet. Since then all the other devices worked fine but the HP Chromebook. By the app, the Chromebook device was turned on for internet, but if the chromebook is closed or goes to sleep and then turned on, it would not have the internet (the chromebook would show connected to my network). I then turned it off and on for hours trying to get it to work. I restarted the Chromebook , restarted the Orbi app and sometimes was able to get the cromebook to work on the internet but if left alone later would not have internet again. So i was worried about my son's chromebook not workng for school and decided to just disable the Parental Controls. After disabling the Parental Controls, all other devices work fine but the Chromebook. Wtih the Parental controls disabled, and try going to a web page on the chromeboook , the screen will show a "Your connection is not private screen" and saying the website cert is invalid. It will do this for every page, google, yahoo, weather channel etc. So now my son's chromebook is basically bricked from the internet. I am having to use my moblie phone as an hotspot so he can do his school work. Can someone plaeas help me! I know if I try calling Netgear, there is no way I can explain this situartion. I haven't tried resetting the Orbi yet because I would probally have to re-enter the SSID's and PW's on a ton of devices. Please help!  Any info will be welcomed! Thanks!

Tim 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help!! RBR50 enable parental control and messed up HP Chromebook internet

I would forget the network on the chrome book, then attempt to reconnect.

If you think you messed up any configurations on the RBR, a good place to restart is to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. This should bring things back to working again. 

Review NGs online user guides for configuration of features. 

If you use Disney Circle, please post over in the Circle forum as they will have more help and information about that feature:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Message 2 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@Timweb wrote:

I haven't tried resetting the Orbi yet because I would probally have to re-enter the SSID's and PW's on a ton of devices.

You should try the other options first, but FYI if you do eventually decide to factory reset your Orbi then you should not have to reconfigure all your devices.  As long as you configure your Orbi with the same wireless SSID, password, and encryption parameters then most or all of your wireless devices will simply reconnect.

It's only when you replace your wireless router with as different model that a small number of devices may need re-setup (despite configuring the same wireless SSID/password/encryption parameters). 

Message 3 of 5
Timweb
Aspirant

Thank you! Yeah I tried the forger network with no luck. I ended up reverting the firmware back on the router and the two satellites. That fixed everything back the way it was. Now unless more firmwares come out, I’m just going to leave it on the older one!

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Tim
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos