Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help me refine my current Orbi home WiFi network (RBK50) (VS change to Nighthawk setup)

3rdShore
Aspirant

Help me refine my current Orbi home WiFi network (RBK50) (VS change to Nighthawk setup)

Greetings,

I believe this is likely a fairly common question here, but after searching for far too much time, I can't seem to come to the best conclusion for my case. I am looking for the absolute BEST solution for my specific setup and am considering the following:

Concerns:

• SLOWER THAN PREFERRED WIFI SPEEDS IN PRIMARY USAGE AREA: My MAIN usage of WiFi signal is in my office where there is currently no easy way to run an ethernet cable unfortunately, and is one of the slower areas of WiFi (please see lower left corner of home in schematic).
    • This is located almost directly below the main Orbi router, so is somewhat suprising/dismaying. Construction is fairly typical wood frame home without a significant obvious barrier between the router and my office aside from standard flooring structure. It's likely ~20-30ft diagonal distance from router to main computer.
    • This is where my mini acts as a sort of "media server" to stream to the various wired and WiFi AppleTVs, and other such devices, in addition to being my primary computer for all general usage
  • SLIGHT "DEADZONE": Also, please note there is an almost WiFi "deadzone" of 20-30 Mbps near the brick wall portion of the schematic that is also fairly close to the main Orbi router, so perhaps the flooring structure is enough to have a drastic effect?
    • This area is also an area of concern for mobile phone usage, because if I move from the back of the house to the front of the house, I may drop a call or have an intermittent portion of conversation that drops out. I am assuming this is because my phone is transitioning from the Orbi satellite to the Orbi router.
  • FASTER SPEEDS NEAR SATELLITE THAN ROUTER: The satellite also seems to have consistenty quicker WiFi speeds (up to 700-835 Mbps) than the Orbi router, which is typically ~190 Mbps but can peak around 575 Mbps or so standing in general proximity to the router, which I understand is still decent but seems surprising to me that it is routinely slower than the satellite.

Considerations:

• 3500 SF house, 2 story
  • Main modem is located in the upstairs portion of the schematic below (adjacent to the Orbi router) and will be staying put because I have a switch (Netgear 8 port unmanaged GS108) in this location where all the wired ethernet runs to (wired connections are currently 5e, some connections could be re-run as 6 if it would really make a difference at this time). The main Orbi router (RBR50) can be moved somewhat if recommended, but I'd prefer it stay in this location as well.
  • Location of Orbi satellite is currently wired for ethernet if needed for Orbi backhaul OR an alternate wired WiFi extender.
  • Single SSID vs Multiple?
    • Currently prefer single SSID for simplicity sake, please convince me otherwise
    • Also, I must use WiFi for mobile phone signal inside home, so this is a consideration

Possible Solutions:

• Maintaining current Orbi Setup
  • VS recommended Nighthawk + recommended WiFi extender
  • VS combination of recommended Nighthawk + Orbi Setup
  • VS other?

Any help is appreciated!

Home WiFi Schematic (Orbi).jpeg

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help me refine my current Orbi home WiFi network (RBK50) (VS change to Nighthawk setup)

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. I have a 5000sq ft home and just the base routers upstairs at one end and the satellite downstairs at the opposite end 40 feet away. Great coverage and performance. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Message 2 of 6
3rdShore
Aspirant

Firmware version: 2.2.1.210 (which is the most current version AFAIK)

Modem: Cisco DPQ3212

Distance between router and satellite: ~50 feet (but as mentioned, the satellite speed seems higher than router)

2.4 Ghz Channels: Auto

Neighbors: Currently showing my guest network, and one other network. Occasionally will show 1 or 2 more, I believe. The one other network is currently showing it's Channel 4. From a cursory internet, and not extreme in depth understanding of 2.4Ghz characteristics, it seems Channel 1 should be a good channel for me to set to?

Security: WPA2-PSK

I'm currently unfamiliar with Beamforming and MIMO, so will need to research that further. Any additional insight is helpful for me and of course any future readers with a similar problem.

Message 3 of 6
3rdShore
Aspirant

So I tried each recommended 2.4 GHz channel mentioned (1,6,11) and none made a significant difference in signal strength/speed.

I did note that my mini is connecting consistently to the 2.4 rather than the 5 GHz. Any other suggestions to strengthen the 5 GHz signal to the area?
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance from the test PC to the router and to the satellite? 

Are you powering OFF the devices wifi radio for 5 seconds then back on for the mobile devices? 

When speed testing the RBR, have ALL other wifi sevices disconnected from the base router, including the satellite to ensure your getting an accurate test. 

Is Beamforming and MIMO enabled? 

What is the status on Fast Roaming and Daisy Chain? 

What is the building materials made up of in the basement area? 

Any lead based painted walls? 

Possible you might need a 2nd satellite in the basement area. 

Message 5 of 6
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

>> combination of recommended Nighthawk + Orbi Setup

Setup #1:

Configure the Nighthawk as a 5GHz wireless Media Bridge to the RBR50 upstairs.  This will enable wire access from your Nighthawk to the media server as well as the main computer downstairs.  Assuming the Nighthawk is capable of gigabit wireless, you should get reasonable speed from RBR50 to the Nighthawk via a 5GHz Media Bridge.  To keep it simple with single SSID, disable the 2.4GHz radio on the Nighthawk so that it will always connect to RBR50 via its 5GHz radio in order to get maximum speed.

If the Nighthawk is not up to the task, try this:

Setup #2:

If your Nighthawk can't handle gigabit wireless or you want super fast wireless in that room, move the RBS50 there since it has a powerful 4x4 wireless backhaul and it will have no trouble punching through that ceiling to reach the RBR50 (Put the RBR50 on the floor will also help).  This will allow you to gain wire access to all your devices as well as fast wireless from RBS50.  Since you can run cat5e cable to the current RBS50 location, setup the Nighthawk there as an Access Point by connecting the cable from RBR50 to one of its LAN port.  To get wireless in that room, setup the same SSID as RBR50's SSID, but pick different 2.4/5GHz channels to avoid collision.  For example, force RBR50 to use channels 6/36 and the Nighthawk to use channels 11/40 for 2.4/5GHz respectively.  This will ensure that both can coexist peacefully.

Setup #3:

This is simplest of all, but costly because you will have to get a second RBS50.  Put one in each room.

I had similar problems and wireless Media Bridge + Orbi WIFI combo resolve my slow or no wifi problem.

YMMV, try it out to see which one works best for you and stick with that one.  Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7