Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help requested RBR50 + RBS50 with switch

villeman
Aspirant

Help requested RBR50 + RBS50 with switch

Hi,

I am not very happy with my wifi performance and would like to connect ethernet cables to both my RBR50 and the satellite to see if this improves things. However, I cannot make this work and would appreciate if someone could chime in on how to solve the issue. I prefer not to use the ethernet backhaul option as I do not have cabling ready from my RBR50 to my satellite.

My setup:

WAN cable -> switch -> RBR50 and RBS50 (not using the WAN port on the RBR50).

Please see the 3rd illustration on the following page: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 

Should the RBR50 be set to AP mode for this to work?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Help requested RBR50 + RBS50 with switch

What comes before the WAN cable?  (a modem or a combination modem/router?)

Orbi will not be happy unless the router is connected using the yellow (WAN) port.

I sense that the ISP modem is located where the switch is and where all the existing ethernet cables meet at a patch panel, and that for some reason you do not want the router to be located there?

Message 2 of 10
villeman
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks. Before the WAN cable is a direct feed from my ISP fiber box. I have tested the ports from the switch and they work fine with the orbi in regular mode (router + satellite w wireless backhaul).
Message 3 of 10
villeman
Aspirant

Also, yes about the location. I do not want to have the router there as I want to use the ethernet ports on the router for my computer etc.
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Regardless of router or AP mode, if you want the top ring LED to fully turn OFF or show correct indications when the RBR is in operation, you'll need to use the WAN port on the RBR. If you need additional LAN ports due to limited ports in back of the RBR, you can install a non manged non green ethernet Gb switch to add additional ports if you like. They may 5 ports all the way up to 52. 

@villeman 

Message 5 of 10
villeman
Aspirant

Thanks. Understood about additional ports.

Do you mean that the following should work?

Switch port 1 -> RBR WAN port and Switch port 2 -> RBS port 1?
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The solution depends (a lot) on the ISP device.  Is it a "modem only" or a "modem/router".

In my view (opinion) the router and satellite should go where they provide the best coverage for the building.  If the central hub is a bad location for a WiFi access point and the computer location is a better place, that makes sense, but needing more ethernet ports is not.

As there is only a single ethernet cable connecting the central hub to where the desktop computer (and other stuff) is located, a $25 unmanaged gigabit switch will connect everything back to the hub over that single cable.

Message 7 of 10
villeman
Aspirant

You are absolutely correct. I will have a think about the location once again. My thinking was that the signal will be much more stable if both the router and satellite is connected with a cable
Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. It works. How one of my Orbi systems is connected. 

Message 9 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

The solution depends (a lot) on the ISP device.  Is it a "modem only" or a "modem/router".

Sorry to be a nag.  This "fiber box", how many ethernet ports does it provide? (one, or more than one?)  Is there a brand and model number on it?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7