Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help, totally confused about Orbi set up !

Coulsonm
Aspirant

Help, totally confused about Orbi set up !

Hi All

A newbie here from the UK , and one that isn't particularly technical, so go easy! 

Just need some help with the set up of my Orbi, I tried for 5 hours last night but it was hopelessly unstable, works one minute, not the next etc. I'm thinking there could be conflict with the Orbi and the existing Modem/Router, as described below.

Here's my set up and the problems encountered:

1) Fibre connection comes into the Garage (BT openreach, about 70mbps so not great)

2) Fibre Connected to Vodafone Modem/Router in the garage. Note: this can't be configured in modem only mode, so this may influence some of your answers.

3) Orbi Router connected via ethernet to Vodafone Modem/Router. It is also located in the garage.

4) Orbi then connects via ethernet to 24 port switch. I have 20x Cat 6 ports over the house all coming into the central switch.

The problem:

I have a lot of concrete in the house, a wireless killer. It's also quite a big house, so I have the Orbi Router and 3 x AC2200 satellites. I need to be able to connect the orbi's via wired backhaul if possible, I had the problem with a Deco mesh before that the satellites struggled to connect to each other due to the solid walls. I want to overcome this problem with wired backhaul.

A few questions:

A) Given that I can't disable Router mode on my Vodafone Modem/Router, should I configure the Orbi in Access Point mode? Does this impact performance? Not sure I understand that much about it all.

B) Can I still use wired backhaul in Access Point mode?

C)I want to connect the satellites back to the Orbi Router via wired backhaul, not to each other. Do I therefore disable Daisy Chain?

D) Do I need to connect the Vodafone Modem/Router directly to the 24 port switch, or do I connect to the switch  via the Orbi?

E) If I want to connect the orbi satellites back to the Orbi router via wired backhaul, can I do this via the Switch?  

F) Lastly, does the Orbi router (in access point mode) throw out a wifi signal, or is it just the satellites that do this? Could influence where I locate the Orbi, doesn't necessarily need to be in the garage if that's the case.

Sorry for all the questions, it's probably a pretty easy problem to solve but at the moment I've not got it working.

Thanks guys!

Mark

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@Coulsonm wrote:

Hi All

A newbie here from the UK , and one that isn't particularly technical, so go easy! 

Just need some help with the set up of my Orbi, I tried for 5 hours last night but it was hopelessly unstable, works one minute, not the next etc. I'm thinking there could be conflict with the Orbi and the existing Modem/Router, as described below.

Here's my set up and the problems encountered:

1) Fibre connection comes into the Garage (BT openreach, about 70mbps so not great)

2) Fibre Connected to Vodafone Modem/Router in the garage. Note: this can't be configured in modem only mode, so this may influence some of your answers.

3) Orbi Router connected via ethernet to Vodafone Modem/Router. It is also located in the garage.

4) Orbi then connects via ethernet to 24 port switch. I have 20x Cat 6 ports over the house all coming into the central switch.

The problem:

I have a lot of concrete in the house, a wireless killer. It's also quite a big house, so I have the Orbi Router and 3 x AC2200 satellites. I need to be able to connect the orbi's via wired backhaul if possible, I had the problem with a Deco mesh before that the satellites struggled to connect to each other due to the solid walls. I want to overcome this problem with wired backhaul.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. If Concrete then you probably need to place the units closer. 

A few questions:

A) Given that I can't disable Router mode on my Vodafone Modem/Router, should I configure the Orbi in Access Point mode? Does this impact performance? Not sure I understand that much about it all.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would go with AP mode...

B) Can I still use wired backhaul in Access Point mode?

YES

C)I want to connect the satellites back to the Orbi Router via wired backhaul, not to each other. Do I therefore disable Daisy Chain?

YES. 

D) Do I need to connect the Vodafone Modem/Router directly to the 24 port switch, or do I connect to the switch  via the Orbi?

Orbi if in router mode. Modem/Router if in AP mode

E) If I want to connect the orbi satellites back to the Orbi router via wired backhaul, can I do this via the Switch?  

YES.

F) Lastly, does the Orbi router (in access point mode) throw out a wifi signal, or is it just the satellites that do this? Could influence where I locate the Orbi, doesn't necessarily need to be in the garage if that's the case.

ALL broadcast a wifi signal regarless of mode.

Message 2 of 4
Coulsonm
Aspirant

Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver!

I'll definitely go option 3. One last question on this:

Do I connect the Modem/Router to BOTH the switch AND the Orbi, using 2 x ethernet cables and ports on the back

Or

Do I connect the Modem/Router to the Switch only, and then connect the switch to the Orbi (and it's satellites). I.E the Modem/Router doesn't have a wired connection directly to the Orbi, it's via the Switch.

Thanks

Mark

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon placement of Orbi from Modem, you can connect the Orbi in AP mode to the modem or to the switch. It's up to you. If you have most things connected to the switch, then connect the Orbi to the switch. Do not connect the orbi to the modem and to the switch with two cables at the same time. Just one cable is needed at the modem or the switch. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7