Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help with Orbi Model selection

EitanCaspi
Aspirant

Help with Orbi Model selection

Hello,

I am looking into buying Orbi but I wish to buy the right model that will best cover my home size and structure. I tried to find a kind of product selector, but wasn't able. How can I select correctly?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you could get the RBK50 and add more Satellites later I believe.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
nicholb
Luminary

Go here and scroll down to "Find Your Orbi". There is tool where you can enter your details and it will recomend a system size. 

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/default.aspx

Message 2 of 10
EitanCaspi
Aspirant

Thank you Nichol!

Message 3 of 10
EitanCaspi
Aspirant

Also, I now found this great support table comparing the Orbi models, for anyone looking for a matching model:

Which Orbi WiFi System is best for me?

kb.netgear.com/000038220/Which-Orbi-WiFi-System-is-best-for-me

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI. I have the AC2200 system with 1 Satellite in a 5000sq ft home. Working great for me.

Message 5 of 10
EitanCaspi
Aspirant

Still I have my doubts... 

My home is made of two floors:

First floor is a rectangle of about 1120 square foot and the current AP, which is connect to the ISP – hence it is the source for home's internet, and it is located at one edge of the rectangle.

The second floor is about 430 square foot and located on the far side from the first floor rectangle, hence it is the farmost possible from the AP.

I wish to best speed so I thought about RBK50, but it has only two devices - the router base AP and one sattelite, that I can place less or more below the 2nd floor room - so I'm not sure it will give enough coverage.

On the other hand, the RBK33 is less speedy but has the same official coverage but with 3 devices - the router-ap and 2 sattelite. Also, as far as I can tell - the RBK33 settelites doesn't have any wire socket hence they are only wireless.

The prices of both at Amazon are almost the same, so price is not the issue here - what would you recommend in my case?

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

In my house I have the Orbi router up on the 2nd floor at one end of the house and about 40 feet away at the other end on the 1st floor is my one Satellite. Range and performance is stellar. Working great here. These are kind of exteme distances however seems to be a good configuration rather then having the router in a more central place and Satellites placed out wards from there. Mines the AC2200 system with RBK30 Satellite I believe.

Since your sq ftage is way smaller then mine, I presume just one base and Satellite would be enough for coverage. Maybe just the base unit would be enough to test out initially, then add and place a Satellite if the remote deads spots are an issue for you. I would try either one. You don't need two Satellites I believe since your footage and foot print is smallish. Placement of each device at each end would and should work well. You could try either and if one is over kill or not enough, send it back and try the other.

@EitanCaspiwrote:

Still I have my doubts... 

My home is made of two floors:

First floor is a rectangle of about 1120 square foot and the current AP, which is connect to the ISP – hence it is the source for home's internet, and it is located at one edge of the rectangle.

The second floor is about 430 square foot and located on the far side from the first floor rectangle, hence it is the farmost possible from the AP.

I wish to best speed so I thought about RBK50, but it has only two devices - the router base AP and one sattelite, that I can place less or more below the 2nd floor room - so I'm not sure it will give enough coverage.

On the other hand, the RBK33 is less speedy but has the same official coverage but with 3 devices - the router-ap and 2 sattelite. Also, as far as I can tell - the RBK33 settelites doesn't have any wire socket hence they are only wireless.

The prices of both at Amazon are almost the same, so price is not the issue here - what would you recommend in my case?

Message 7 of 10
nicholb
Luminary

I have the RBK50 in a rectangular 2 story house with about 900sqf on each floor. The Router is centered on the 1st and the sat is in one of the corner bedrooms on the 2nd. I have full coverage over the entire house including the basement. I also find that a lot of times devices in the 1st floor living room connect to the satellite on the 2nd floor rather than the router (sat directly above, router same floor but one room over).  Anyway, I would think the RBK50 would cover your house well with the sat either on the 1st directly below the 2nd and centered, or on the 2nd on the side nearest the router. You can always play with the placement. 

Message 8 of 10
EitanCaspi
Aspirant

Thank you all for the detailed replies!

One last question - Say I buy the RBK50 and eventually I have the need for more coverage - does Netgear have a sat I can buy one peice of and add to the existing RBK50 installation?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you could get the RBK50 and add more Satellites later I believe.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7