Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with Orbi RBR20 Connection to Spectrum Modem

marty1959
Aspirant

Help with Orbi RBR20 Connection to Spectrum Modem

I just switched from google fiber to spectrum (use to be Time Warner Cable). My orbi mesh worked fine with Google fiber. I cannot get an internet connection with the new spectrum modem. When I follow directions, it pulses white, but never becomes a solid white.  My phone sees the orbi, but I get back message "no internet".  If I unplug the modem, the Orbi turns mangenta.  I tried a backup Belkin router and it connects.  I appreciate any thoughts on how to get my mesh up and running again.  Thank you.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Help with Orbi RBR20 Connection to Spectrum Modem

Please identify the brand and model of cable modem provided by Spectrum.

Is is correct to assume that both the Spectrum modem and Orbi were powered off.  Modem powered on and allowed to stabilize.  Then Orbi powered on?

With Google fiber, was the Orbi in "router" or "access point" mode?

Thanks

Message 2 of 9
marty1959
Aspirant

Thank you. Yes, I powered off both devices several times, waiting for modem first to start up, then Orbi. Orbi only ever pulsed white. When I first got Orbi, I did have problem with NAT, as the google box was both modem and router. I don’t remember how i fixed it. But i have a “fix”... i plugged the Orbi into the Belkin router and the system works! Not it’s a work around. I appreciate your thoughts
Message 3 of 9
marty1959
Aspirant

Also, the brand on the Spectrum modem is not listed. But a model number is E31T2V1

Thanks!
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the device between the modem and Orbi RBR router? Seems like this router that can be removed and the RBR put in it's place. Power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds, then power back on the ISP modem and let it sync then power ON the RBR while the RBR is connected directly to the modem. 

@marty1959 wrote:
Thank you. Yes, I powered off both devices several times, waiting for modem first to start up, then Orbi. Orbi only ever pulsed white. When I first got Orbi, I did have problem with NAT, as the google box was both modem and router. I don’t remember how i fixed it. But i have a “fix”... i plugged the Orbi into the Belkin router and the system works! Not it’s a work around. I appreciate your thoughts

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@marty1959 wrote:
Also, the brand on the Spectrum modem is not listed. But a model number is E31T2V1

This is the Hitron model that I have from Spectrum.  My RBR50 is plugged directly into the E31TV1.  This is a "modem only" (with telephone line capability, which I use).  So, the Orbi must be configured as a router (the default).  If the Orbi is in access point (AP) mode, then the Orbi will get an IP address, but it will not create IP addresses for any device attached to it, so nothing will be able to access the internet.  The satellites will not connect because they will never get an IP address.  (Now that I think about it, maybe every DHCP request will pass through the Orbi and the modem will get confused by all of the different MAC addresses and simply "give up".)

Message 6 of 9
marty1959
Aspirant

Thank you.  So what do you suggest?  If it's acting as an access point, should I reset the router to factory settings?  the sattelites appear to be working too.  All this is currently working with the Belkin router bridging the two devices (Spectrum modem connected to Belkin, connected to the ORBI), but it certainly doesn't seem right.  When I accessed the ORBI app on my phone, attempting to be administrator (username: admin), the default password (password) is not being accepted.  So this make me think I should "reset" the ORBI?  I appreciate people's thoughts.  Thank you.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Since you cannot access the Orbi web interface (not knowing the admin password), the only step left is a "factory reset".  This will put it back into router mode and reset the admin password to "password" (which the setup will want you to change).

Connect directly from the Orbi yellow (WAN) port to the modem.

Good Luck!

Message 8 of 9
marty1959
Aspirant

Thank you.  I am at work and will try this tonight.  Appreciate your suggestions. 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7