Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with Orbi setup method

hawk2g
Tutor

Help with Orbi setup method

I'm thinking on buying the RBK20 which comes with 2 devices (router and satilite). I want to place them on each end of the house but I don't think they will be able to connect a wireless backhaul. I have RJ-45 jacks at the places where I want to put the 2 Orbi's, that connect to where the switch and router are. I read about the ethernet backhaul it can do, but this diagram confused me a bit.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Do I connect both LAN and WAN on the Orbi router to the switch or just the WAN or LAN? I attached a diagram of what I want it to do.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
hawk2g
Tutor

Re: Help with Orbi setup method

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

it should go with one of these options:

1. Modem-->Wan port on orbi router--->lan port on orbi going to switch-->switch going to lan port on satellite

2. Modem-->wan port on orbi router-->lan port on orbi going to satellite. 

The switch need to come after the router.

You can either use a lan port off the orbi router to feed the satellite or use it to feed the switch and then the orbi. 

up to you. 

Message 2 of 6
hawk2g
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. Your options made me google more into why it must be seperate from the switch for the backhaul. I found this which answers my remaining questions.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ethernet-backhaul-for-ORBI-in-AP-mode/td-p/1707668

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 6
hawk2g
Tutor

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru