Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help with Set-up RBK50 - Centurylink Fiber (Eliminate D2100T?)

cwjones
Aspirant

Help with Set-up RBK50 - Centurylink Fiber (Eliminate D2100T?)

I'm wanting to try to eliminate the Router that CenturyLink is "renting" to me for $10 a month and instead configure the Orbi to be the router.  In reading random postings across the internet, it SOUNDS like it's possible, but I'm not finding an exact "It works!" set of steps. 

Has anyone been able to configure their CenturyLink PPoE crudentials and VPN mapping so that it worked?  If so, do you have exact steps?  Much appreciated! (I've got the RBR50 and 2 satellites).

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask the ISP if they support any kind of stand alone modem only on there ISP services. Modem only with out a router is preferred with using external routers. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 6
jical80
Aspirant

Were you able to successfully complete this setup?

"Set-up RBK50 - Centurylink Fiber (Eliminate D2100T?)"

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried any of the suggestions as well? 

@jical80 wrote:

Were you able to successfully complete this setup?

"Set-up RBK50 - Centurylink Fiber (Eliminate D2100T?)"

Message 4 of 6
cwjones
Aspirant

The majority of the solutions offered appear to not eliminate the CL Router, which was the goal.  What I was hoping for was steps 1-10 of how to configure the Orbi Router so as to completely remove the CL Router from the setup (and thus return it to them and not have an additional piece of equipment to blame when things go wrong).  I unfortunately don't have the time to be experiementing, which is why I was hoping someone else had figured it out.

I'll re-read in a bit and figure out if maybe I missed the obvious answer.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would first contact your ISP to see if there router is needed. I believe in most cases there ONT/Router unit is required for operation with there services. If they confirm then, then your best options would be to try #2 and then #3 of the suggestions...

@cwjones wrote:

The majority of the solutions offered appear to not eliminate the CL Router, which was the goal.  What I was hoping for was steps 1-10 of how to configure the Orbi Router so as to completely remove the CL Router from the setup (and thus return it to them and not have an additional piece of equipment to blame when things go wrong).  I unfortunately don't have the time to be experiementing, which is why I was hoping someone else had figured it out.

I'll re-read in a bit and figure out if maybe I missed the obvious answer.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7