Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with WiFi setup

Brownb01
Aspirant

Help with WiFi setup

Hello. I was wondering if I could get some help.

Current setup -
Internet provided by AT&T through a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 with a Netgear 3200 in AP mode. I have the WiFi disabled on the MR1100 and run the 2.4 and 5GHz off of the 3200.

I need to expand my WiFi coverage and run more devices - mostly nest cams. This is a vacation place, with 8 or so cams, lots of automation and many guests on the weekends. What will be the best way to expand the WiFi coverage and stay on a single SSID? I was consider dumping the 3200 and going with Orbi and a few satellites. However wasn’t sure if somehow I could add a satellite of some sort to the 3200? I’ve tried some range extenders and don’t really care for having to setup another SSID.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help with WiFi setup

Orbi would replace your wiress AP system. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
Distance between the router and satellite, 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Help with WiFi setup

@Brownb01 wrote:
I need to expand my WiFi coverage and run more devices - mostly nest cams. This is a vacation place, with 8 or so cams, lots of automation and many guests on the weekends. What will be the best way to expand the WiFi coverage and stay on a single SSID?

@FURRYe38 is correct.  Single SSID coverage depends on the building size and materials.  It's amazing how it is possible to get internet access almost anywhere at a reasonable cost.  Is 20 devices going to be enough when 8 are taken up with cameras and more with automation before the "many guests" arrive on the weekends?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7