Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with blocking wifi

CCguy
Aspirant

Help with blocking wifi

I usually block my son's cell phone in Device Manager easily. Now he found a way to work around. His device always shows as IPhone, not his usual device name. Now he can access wifi any time, even during midnight! And I have to constantly check Device Manager to block that "IPhone".

Is there any allowed device list in Orbi app or is there any way to block that annoying IPhone?

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Help with blocking wifi

@CCguy wrote:

Is there any allowed device list in Orbi app or is there any way to block that annoying IPhone?

The Orbi "app" does not manage Access Control.  The Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) on the Advanced Tab, Security, Access Control provides a method to "block new devices" from the network.  Once Access Control is activated, any new MAC address that appears will be blocked until you go into that screen and "Allow" it.

The forum seems to have a lot of posts from people having issues with Access Control. (I have not enabled it myself.)

Message 2 of 7
flumignan
Tutor

Bear in mind, iOS now generates a pseudo-MAC address periodically or on every reboot. It's a privacy feature to prevent tracking. You will need to reverse your allow list so that it denies everyone except for pre-approved specific devices, rather than allow everyone except for explicitly-denied devices like your son's. You will obviously need to make sure your device is not also creating new pseudo-MAC address; it's a simple toggle of a setting per Wi-Fi network. 

Message 3 of 7
CCguy
Aspirant

Thanks a lot. I have tried. Let's see how my son responds. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 7
CCguy
Aspirant

I checked "Block all new devices from connecting". Did I do it right? Is that what you meant by "reverse your device list"? Not tech savvy. Any help is appreciated.

@flumignan wrote:

Bear in mind, iOS now generates a pseudo-MAC address periodically or on every reboot. It's a privacy feature to prevent tracking. You will need to reverse your allow list so that it denies everyone except for pre-approved specific devices, rather than allow everyone except for explicitly-denied devices like your son's. You will obviously need to make sure your device is not also creating new pseudo-MAC address; it's a simple toggle of a setting per Wi-Fi network. 

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, this should prevent him from connecting to the WiFi system by changing network settings on the iPhone.

This does not prevent him from switching to cellular data on the iPhone.

And... it means that the next time anyone attempts to connect to your WiFi, you will have to log in and "Allow" that new device.

God help you if you are at Home Depot when a BFF shows up and wants to share something on an iPad and it won't connect.

Message 6 of 7
CCguy
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Yes, this should prevent him from connecting to the WiFi system by changing network settings on the iPhone.

This does not prevent him from switching to cellular data on the iPhone.

And... it means that the next time anyone attempts to connect to your WiFi, you will have to log in and "Allow" that new device.

God help you if you are at Home Depot when a BFF shows up and wants to share something on an iPad and it won't connect.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7