Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

High Data Usage with Orbi

orbiuser199
Aspirant

High Data Usage with Orbi

Since installing Orbi RBR50 with two satellites, the data usage has spiked over 2 times from 400GB per month average, I exceed my limit this month of 1TB from Xfinity. I did factory reset and reconfigured the router still no benefit. When I see statistics, Tx and Rx packets are continuously increasing on WAN while no other devices are connected. I have seen other posts and followed factory reset as recommended but that did not resolve the issue. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: High Data Usage with Orbi

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What devices do you have connected to the Orbi system? 

Might enable Traffic Monitor and set a stop limit to see if it's coming from a connected device on the LAN side or the Orbi itself...

Message 2 of 4
orbiuser199
Aspirant

Firmware 2.3.1.60
Modem TP-Link TC-7610
About 15 devices iPhone/iPads, Roku, laptops etc. had all of them except one blocked still was seeing Tx/Rx packets increasing in statistics page.

I have traffic meter on and during the night saw 5GB download and 10GB upload.

How do I set stop limit?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Id be curious if you still see this happening after doing a factory reset and setup from scratch. Just set up a new different SSID name and PW and maybe do this right before bed time. Don't connect any devices to the new name and PW. Leave them all disconnected over nite. Disconnect any wired devices as well from the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS(s). Just leaving the RBR and ISP modem over night and come back first thing in the morning and check data UP and Down. If you don't see anything from this over night on the RBR, then I presume that something else on your network is causing this. 

Let us know if you do see data still happening or not. 

After checking, set your SSID and PW back to what you had been using. Then try configuring Traffic Meter using this:

https://kb.netgear.com/24225/How-do-I-monitor-Internet-traffic-on-my-Nighthawk-router

@orbiuser199 wrote:
Firmware 2.3.1.60
Modem TP-Link TC-7610
About 15 devices iPhone/iPads, Roku, laptops etc. had all of them except one blocked still was seeing Tx/Rx packets increasing in statistics page.

I have traffic meter on and during the night saw 5GB download and 10GB upload.

How do I set stop limit?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7