Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Highly variable download speeds with RBK53

switters
Apprentice

Highly variable download speeds with RBK53

I have an RBK53 connected to an Xfinity XB6 modem that is in Bridge Mode. I have a Gigabit connection. Prior to installing the RBK53 I would get download speeds of ~930 Mbps with a wired connection, ~400-600 Mbps with a wireless connection on my laptop, and ~300-450 Mbps with a wireless connection on my iPhone 11. These numbers were from Xfinity's speed test. 

With the RBK53, here are the results I'm getting:

• Wired (Ookla): 700 Mbps
  • Wired (Xfinity): 940 Mbps
  • Wireless, laptop (Ookla): 375 Mbps
  • Wireless, laptop (Xfinity): 555 Mbps
  • Wireless, iPhone 11 (Ookla): 290 Mbps
  • Wireless, iPhone 11 (Orbi): 492 Mbps
  • Wireless, iPhone 11 (Xfinity): 269 Mbps

I'm trying to make sense of these numbers and have several questions.

1) The tests were performed with the devices in the exact same location. Why do the results vary so much? Which of the speed test results (Ookla, Xfinity, Orbi) is the most accurate? 

2) What wireless download speeds should I be expecting? My understanding of the Orbi before I purchased it is that it would give me wireless download speeds that are closer to my wired (Ethernet) download speeds. But maybe I misunderstood?

All of these speeds are pretty good and more than sufficient for what I need. But I just want to have a better understanding of what's happening here. Thanks. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Highly variable download speeds with RBK53

The result from Xfinity is most accurate b/c it's best you will ever get from Comcast.  Results from other sites will fluctuate because of other network traffic/routers/etc.,  You can expect to get ~500Mbps from Orbi wireless b/c it's a 866Mbps fronthaul.  You will never get close to wired speed.  One thing you can check prior to testing is to verify the iPhone Link Rate via Orbi App.  It should be connected to Orbi at 866Mbps.

BTW, your results are great!

I did similar tests with v2.5.1.8: results

Message 2 of 14
switters
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply. The link rate for my iPhone is 650 Mbps, not 866 Mbps. What do I do about that?

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The 866Mpb is a connection rate between the WiFi on the Orbi and connected clients. This does not reflect actual thru-put speeds which differ from connection rates. 

Use WiFi sweet spots on your wireless devices to see what the connection rate is between those devices and Orbi RBR. 

What iOS version is loaded on the phone? 

Message 4 of 14
switters
Apprentice

What's interesting is that my wife's iPhone 11 is sitting right next to mine, and the Orbi app says 866 Mbps for her and 650 Mbps for me. Both of us are runniing iOS 13.3.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume there maybe a HW fault at the one phone then. These are the same iPhone 11s? 

Message 6 of 14
switters
Apprentice

Identical. 

I noticed that in the Orbi app, it says "Network" under my wife's phone, but it says "Smart Phone" under mine. Does that have anything to do with it?

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

And you are both connected to the RBR and not the RBS? I would turn OFF the RBS temporarily to besure. 

What does WiFi SweetSpots report for connection rates for both iphones? 

Message 8 of 14
switters
Apprentice

What's interesting is that my phone (the one getting 650 Mbps) is connected to the RB50, but my wife's is connected to one of the satellites. 

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR? 

Have both connect to the RBR then check connection rates. Then connect both to the RBS and do same. See any differences? 

Message 10 of 14
switters
Apprentice

I think there may be something wrong with my setup. When I tried to check whether my iPhone is connected to the router or satellite, I tapped on Device Manager and received the error message "Sorry, the action has failed. No devices found."

Message 11 of 14
switters
Apprentice

Ok, I just upgraded to 2.5.1.8 firmware. That fixed the "no connected devices" error.

I also did another speed test on my iPhone 11. I got 894 Mbps from within the Orbi app! But now the link rate for the phone is showing 390 Mbps. It's even lower than before. So confusing. It is connected to RBR50 even though I am physically much closer to a satellite (about 8 ft away from satellite and 30 ft away from router). 

Then did a speed test from my Macbook Pro sitting 2 inches away from my phone, using Xfinity Speed Test. I got 575 Mbps. It is connected to the satellite, not the router. And the link rate is 866 Mbps. 

Again, all of these speeds are fantastic, so I'm not concerned. Just trying to understand how the system works, i.e. why is the link rate lower on my iPhone 11, why/how is it getting download speeds of 894 Mbps whereas my laptop (which I'd expect to be faster) is getting 575 Mbps? 

Message 12 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@switters wrote:

Ok, I just upgraded to 2.5.1.8 firmware. That fixed the "no connected devices" error.

I also did another speed test on my iPhone 11. I got 894 Mbps from within the Orbi app! ...

Then did a speed test from my Macbook Pro sitting 2 inches away from my phone, using Xfinity Speed Test. I got 575 Mbps. It is connected to the satellite, not the router. And the link rate is 866 Mbps. 

... why is the link rate lower on my iPhone 11, why/how is it getting download speeds of 894 Mbps whereas my laptop (which I'd expect to be faster) is getting 575 Mbps? 

The iPhone link rate is negotiated between iPhone/Orbi and will fluctuate.  However, it doesn't affect the SpeedTest within Orbi App, which is testing Orbi WAN to LAN speed.  That's why it's able to hit wired speed of 894Mbps.  Your laptop is showing the expected speed from Orbi/Satellite fronthaul.  If you want to test your iPhone wireless speed, use Xfinity App built-in speedtest.

You're getting your money worth with Orbi!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 14
switters
Apprentice

I sure am! Thanks for the clarification, really helps. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7