Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home/Shop Router

ncsu
Aspirant

Home/Shop Router

I have a shop approximately 150 ft. behind my house that I've run cable and internet to.  I ran Cat 6 to it and was told I needed a small router with an access point to improve the signal.  Which small Netgear router has an access point that would take care of my situation?      

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Home/Shop Router

If your using Orbi as your main host router, then you only need a LAN line out to the shop. Then you can get a low cost router that can be configured for AP mode. Once in AP mode, connect it to the LAN side and this will be your wifi access point for anything at the shop. You can even use it's open LAN ports for wired connections as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@ncsu wrote:

I have a shop approximately 150 ft. behind my house that I've run cable and internet to.      

This is a little bit vague and generic.

@ncsu wrote:

I ran Cat 6 to it      

So you have an Ethernet cable (CAT5E or better, CAT6 is OK) with all eight strands, properly crimped in pairs, ready to establish an Ethernet connection from your Internet router LAN port to a new device in the shop - OK.

@ncsu wrote:

and was told I needed a small router with an access point to improve the signal.  Which small Netgear router has an access point that would take care of my situation?      

Not sure from where these advices are always coming from - on a LAN you don't need yet another a router, just a wireless access point, and probably a small switch if you want to make more Ethernet ports available. Granted, most (but not all) routers can be reconfigured as a wireless access point but make poor APs and switches in my opinion.

Any Gigabit Ethernet switch and wireless access point can do the job. Tell us a little bit more about the Internet connection, the existing Internet WiFi router, and the expectations ref. network and WiFi in the shop

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 3 of 5
ncsu
Aspirant

What has been installed so far is a Cat 6 line running from my home modem/router which is thru Spectrum.  The Cat 6 line is connected to the back of the modem/router and is about 150 feet in length and connects to a Fire Cube in the shop.  Then I'm supposed to hook up a HDMI cable between the Fire Cube and television.  The Best Buy technician suggested a "low cost router wtih an access port" for a better internet connection instead of using my phone.     

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If your using Orbi as your main host router, then you only need a LAN line out to the shop. Then you can get a low cost router that can be configured for AP mode. Once in AP mode, connect it to the LAN side and this will be your wifi access point for anything at the shop. You can even use it's open LAN ports for wired connections as well. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7