Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home wifi networking issues with Xfinity modem/router and Orbi

APCNH
Aspirant

Home wifi networking issues with Xfinity modem/router and Orbi

I have Xfinity as a provider with 1GB service.  In my basement I have a their modem/router combo (XG1v4-A).  I have a fairly large house (3 floors) that i am trying to accommodate 6 users between remote scooling/remote working. . 

I take one of the ethernet outputs from the modem and have a hard wired ethernet connection to an office on the 3rd floor that has no issues.  I take a 2nd ethernet output from the modem that goes to a first floor closet where I have an Orbi RBR40 router, with a satellite on the 2nd floor and another on the 3rd floor. This results in my having 2 different wifi networks in my house (one from Xfinity router and one from Orbi).  I also take an ethernet output from the Orbi on 1st closet and connect to a Powerline adapter to get an ethernet hardwire connection to a Meraki box for my wifes work system in another office on the 2st floor.. 

One issue is that kids working on Chromebooks for school on 2nd floor keep getting bounced off the wifi's.  I have tried switching them on either the Xfinity wifi (which has weaker signal up on 2nd floor) and the Orbi which is stronger signal due to satellite.   

A second issue is that the connection into my wife's office (output from orbi router to powerline adapter to Meraki) is not very stable and she also has connectivity issues.

Am I creating issues by trying to have 2 different wifi networks with this setup?  I am not using the bridge mode on the modem as if I do that, I only get 1 ethernet output port from the modem and I need 2 (one for the ORbi router and one for the hardline ethernet connection to 3rd floor office).  Would I be better off abandoning the Orbi system and just using the Xfi pods from Xfinity for 1st/2nd/3rd floors?

Any other suggestions?  TIA. I'm going crazy trying to keep everyone productive & online . . . 

(Please note I do have an RBR40 Orbi router & not the RBR50 in the subject line as there as not an rbrb40 option in the picklist). 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Home wifi networking issues with Xfinity modem/router and Orbi

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

It's recommended to bridge the modem and use the Orbi router for your host router needs.

Message 2 of 8
APCNH
Aspirant

Thanks for the help FURRYe38.

My Xfinity router is:

Model:  Arris TG4482A, Rev 10

Firmware: TG4482PC2_4.4p17s3_PROD_sey

My Orbi router is:

Model RBR40

Firmware: V2.5.1.22

Do you feel the performance of bridging the modem and using the Orbi router will be significantly better than eliminating the ORBI router and using the XFI mesh pods?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have two different mesh systems running, then this would be one issue. Having two wifi mesh systems in close proximity will be problematic. 

I recommend you turn OFF the ISP wifi MESH system and run the Orbi MESH system to see how well the Orbi system does. 

Placement and distances and channel useage will be key. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 4 of 8
APCNH
Aspirant

My house is approx 3500 sq ft.  The Orbi RBR is on the 1st floor, and then a satellite on the 2nd floor and another on the 3rd floor.  I can ensure they are at least 3 ft apart especially when taking into account building materials.  The house is all wood construction (no metal or masonry).   Nearest neghbor is several hundred feet away.  When I search for wifi network options none of my nighbors usually come up.

If I put my ISP modem into bridge mode, I then only have one ethernet output port from the modem.  I currently use 2 ports, one for a direct ethernet wire connection to my Orbi router on 1st floor and one for an ethernet direct wire connection to an office on the 3rd floor which I'd prefer to not lose.  If I put the ISP modem into bridge mode, is it possible to split the 1 ethernet output into 2 lines for my 2 hardwire connections (1 for Orbi router and one for 3rd floor office) or is that not recommended?  

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When bridged the modem would only be able to have 1 ISP serivce line out to the Orbi router. You would not be able to connect anything else to this line. You can connect your office line to the back of the RBR...

Message 6 of 8
APCNH
Aspirant

Thanks for your help @FURRYe38  . . .  I implemented the bridge and reset my router and it all seems good now.  I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience.  

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad thats working for you. Be sure to save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7