Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HomeKit Router Support for Netgear Orbi

Rioo
Guide

HomeKit Router Support for Netgear Orbi

To the Netgear Support Team,

When will you integrate Apple HomeKit Router on the Orbi and Nighthawk systems?

It's pretty sad that other vendors like Linksys and Amazon have been able to do this with a firmware update. For the high prices consumers pay for your products you should be adding in features like this to stay in the market.

There have been multiple community posts about this as well with no response from the engineering team and it's been 2+ years. If you want customers to pay for your own security system that's basically free now from other vendors you should rethink your business strategy.
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: HomeKit Router Support for Netgear Orbi

What Orbi model do you have? 

Be sure your posting in the right section of the forums for Orbi products. 

Something to post about here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Message 2 of 14
Rioo
Guide

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I have an RBR20.
That thread you directed me towards basically proves the point that Netgear doesn't even listen to the customer and has 300+ ideas to at least consider/implement.

So what's the point in posting in the, "right section" if the actual support team isn't even addressing anyone?

This is no attack on you as I see you're trying to help, but rather a question about what consumers should do to be heard and listened to? Should we mail in letters or contact the engineering team directly? No one wants to spent $300+ and then not have any features implemented.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can look thru this and see if there is anything that is helpful:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=homekit&location=bo...

Orbi and Homekit has been problematic over the years. Not sure if NG will ever fix it. 

Something to post in the right section as if you don't NG won't know. 

@KevinLiT 

Message 4 of 14
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rioo,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!!!

I understand that you would like the Apple HomeKit Router integrated with our Orbi mesh systems. I will bring this feature up with my team as a future feature recommendation for the Orbi mesh systems. 

Thank you for this suggestion!!!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 14
Rioo
Guide

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response.
If you could let us know the outcome about this as many people are wondering and it would let the consumer know if they should invest in the product?
Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Does this article accurately describe the desired integration of Apple Homekit into Netgear routers?

Message 7 of 14

Might be worth reading this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Apple Homekit

Message 8 of 14
Rioo
Guide

The desired integration is to have Netgear release a software update to all of their Orbi devices that will enable Apple HomeKit Router support

. A HomeKit Router is simply a normal home WiFi router with some additional HomeKit support built in. Adding a supported router to your HomeKit setup enables some additional features in the Home app on your iPhone (or iPad) that allow you to control how your HomeKit accessories communicate. One of these is that you can view the status of any HomeKit compatible routers that you have added to your home, the other, and most important, is called HomeKit Accessory Security.

HomeKit Accessory Security is essentially a simplified user interface for creating a set of firewall rules on the router to limit what your accessories can talk to, and thus what can access them in return.

I hope this clarifies the desired result of the many forms on adding HomeKit support to Orbi routers, as currently there are support issues with HomeKit.

Message 9 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@Rioo wrote:
To the Netgear Support Team,

When will you integrate Apple HomeKit Router on the Orbi and Nighthawk systems?

It's pretty sad that other vendors like Linksys and Amazon have been able to do this with a firmware update. For the high prices consumers pay for your products you should be adding in features like this to stay in the market.

There have been multiple community posts about this as well with no response from the engineering team and it's been 2+ years. If you want customers to pay for your own security system that's basically free now from other vendors you should rethink your business strategy.

@Rioo , I'm not sure what you mean by HomeKit integration? Do you want Orbi to have Thread support, that is to act a a Thread Edge Router?

Otherwise, I have all types of HomeKit devices, including Thread devices at home working perfectly with Orbi. I have many HopePod units  as well as Apple TV devies acting as home hubs. I really don't see any issue with that.

The only thing that is missing, and is likely what you are asking for is to add the Thread support in Orbi so that you won't need an Apple HomePod as a hub, is this what you are asking for? 🙂

Message 10 of 14
Rioo
Guide

@ekhalil I answered above, But basically you still need a HomePod, Apple TV or iPad. It's the management of the router and it's secure functionality that apple HomeKit for routers provides is what we want. The ability to have security and for eg if you have security cameras then Apple HomeKit would manage the recording by itself. Actually using the HomeKit API as a core component in the software that runs on the Orbi.
If it's confusing then the Linksys and Eero routers have examples on their homepages.
Message 11 of 14
qqqq122
Initiate

@ekhalil I think you should look up Homekit Secure Router and learn what it is and what benefits it provide (and why people demand it) before commenting and acting like people just ask a random question.

It basically provides a user-friendly dropdown boxes to let user firewall each Homekit accessory in the Home app. It allows users to choose whether to allow an accessory to communicate with outside network or to only allow it to communicate with the home hub (e.g., Homepod, apple TV). You can accomplish the same thing with firewall on the router, but users need to learn certain things. With Homekit Secure Router, users don't have to mess with the firewall settings in the router, they just have to select the boxes in the Home app.

This is useful when Homekit and smart home devices are growing, and there are many from untrusted companies. It protects users when some of those devices may quietly transfer data back to a foreign server (e.g., to China, etc.). Or users simply don't want any devices from any companies, trusted or untrusted, to upload data to those companies' servers. Homekit Secure Router let user block all outside-the-home connections. As a result, it will also block any software updates.

Maybe Netgear is ignoring this feature because it can't charge a subscription fee for such feature...

Message 12 of 14
StuN_UK
Initiate

Cynical but I think you may be onto something 😉. This is the last Orbi product that I’ll purchase. They’ve gone from best in class to one of the worst.

Message 13 of 14
ags118
Aspirant

Hi Kevin,

Can you also bring it up with the Nighthawk team? This is the topic on HomeKit Router Support. Or do you know if this is set up already? I can’t seem to find anything.

Ashley
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7