Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HomeKit Router

tregan01
Guide

HomeKit Router

Will Netgear (Orbi) support iOS 13 with a HomeKit Router?

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: HomeKit Router

Is this other router infront of the Orbi or will it be behind the Orbi. 

Having two routers on the same line or network is not recommended. There are some suggested configurations though. 

Message 2 of 16
tregan01
Guide

HomeKit-enabled routers (supported with iOS 13)
Enabled routers bring an extra layer of security to your smart home. Use the Home app to control which services your HomeKit accessories can communicate with in your network and on the internet
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So are you asking if Orbi has security features? Circl and Armor are an added feature to Orbi systems. These are additional security features that can be enabled on the Orbi system. 

You'll have to ask Apple what devices there Homekit products support and if they work with Orbi systems. General Apple iphones and pads work with Orbi. 

Message 4 of 16
thelemonkid
Luminary

HomeKit enabled routers are routers that are capable to comminicate wiht the Apple HomeKit app. You will find this app on apple devices such as computers, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch etc. On Apple TV there are extra features; enabeling automations. Such as lights on when you get home or off when you go.

HomeKit enabled routers will provide an extra security layer aroud each single HomKit divice. So that when one gets hacked, all the others are sill safe. This security will be provided by the router if it is HomeKit enabled through it's firewall.

If such a HomeKit router could also switch on the light when you get home, wich currently only the Apple TV is capable of, is not clear. But it seems to be the next step. Not everyone needs an Apple TV and even though most HomeKit features can be controlled by apps on your phone, It would be nice to have routers also capable of doing that.

Currently Netgear is trying to make an extra buck by offering a whole mess of security layers through their current routers. Updating a router brings you all kinds of new Netgear security hapinesses when you pay for it. They offer the same kind of security to devices that HomeKit enabled routers seem to be able to give you for free, on HomeKit enabled devices.

That gives me the imprssion that Netgear may not be offering HomeKit enabled routers or updates to enable them. Netgear may not want to provide you with this service. Netgear wants your money......

Message 5 of 16
notype
Initiate

Re: HomeKit Router - please add support to Orbi!

Please add Homekit support to Orbi. I have 4 units in use and I generally like it but lack of HK support will force me to sell them and move to Eero or other that does HK

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 16
Braddock
Initiate

I will do the same thing and abandon the Orbi set up I have for something that is compatible with Homekit. I'd rather configure the basic settings and security from Homekit than the orbi app.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

@notype wrote:

Please add Homekit support to Orbi. I have 4 units in use and I generally like it but lack of HK support will force me to sell them and move to Eero or other that does HK

Message 8 of 16
UW
Guide
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

@notype wrote:

I agree! I have two separate sets of Orbi RBR50 and a 20 each with two satellites that I will return in exchange for HomeKit enabled routers. Currently waiting for Linksys to release their update before I give them a shot or I may go with Eero if Linksys don't have an update by the end of the year. Either way Orbi will go back. 

Message 9 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

Apple Homekit works just fine on Orbi devices provided everything is configured correctly. Apple should have setup and configuration information available.

Your "I" device has to be on IOS13+ and connected to your Orbi device. Some older devices may not work. 

What are you using for a Home Hub?

What are you trying to connect your Orbi device to, such as ISP ONT, modem/router, your device, etc., and is it up and running in NAT mode?

FYI it really doesn't matter to the volunteers here, when someone threatens to return their product, because they are having a problem and are unhappy. Everyone here volunteers to help, with the exception of a few reps.

Sometimes, if an end user is stuck, it's better to hire a professional to set it up correctly, because most of the time configuration errors are caused by the user or their devices.  

Message 10 of 16
UW
Guide
Guide

It seems you don't understand the request, which is that Orbi/Netgear should add HomeKit Router support to Orbi. This doesn't mean they don't already work with HomeKit devices. It just means that Orbi hasn't made their routers HomeKit Routers which would give HomeKit deployments added levels of security and control when HomeKit devices are added to a HomeKit enabled router.

As for returning my Orbi setups, yes it does matter, it becomes an issue for Netgear as they have to deal with either returns or lost sales as a consequence of not improving their product to compete with others that offer features customers want. That Llinksys recently announced they will upgrade their routers including their pre WiFi6 routers, to be HomeKit enabled, means more options. Returns are an economic hit to any company which not only lose revenue, they incur additoinal costs, and impaired revenue recovery. While this doesn't affect volunteers like you, it's a cost to Netgear for lack of action.

Message 11 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

I perfectly understood your request and was offering help, that maybe you didn't want? Apologies for that.

IMHO Eeros is inferior to Netgear and other mesh competitors, but it is affordable, which is why it is popular.

We used to install them as a cheap alternative, but the coverage was never near what they advertise so we got complaints.

Now we consistantly go with Netgear Orbi and one other quality brand. 

I would keep that in consideration, when switching to a product that may not give you the coverage you are used to.

Message 12 of 16
UW
Guide
Guide

I guess I didn't understand that you were offering help. In my view there was no help to be given seeing as how Orbi are not HomeKit Routers and they haven't made an announcement saying they would provide an udpate to adde that functionality. There's no help to offer when it's not a feature/function available. I was simply posting to make an overt feature request and add my voice to others in the community who also want Orbi to have HomeKit enabled routers.

As for quality of coverage, I've not been terribly impressed. Our home is about 2100sqft and I had to upgrade to the RBR50 with 2 satelites to get adequate coverage. I'm thinknig of getting Linksys with 4 nodes and will definitely pull the trigger when they release their HomeKit upgrade. They announced it's "Coming Soon" and while it looks like they missed the summer release plan it's still pending, thus why I'm waiting but not holding my breath and in the meantime if Netgear announces they will also, I may just sit with my current setup and I may even invest in a 3rd satelite.

Another disappointing shortcoming of Netgear's is that even they they offer both Orbi and Arlo product, they don't interact/support each other. In my view it's a horrible missed opportunity to not take advantage of Arlo's hubs to help extend WiFi range when paired with an Orbi AP system. Arlo's wireless scheme is nothing more than another WiFi network (albeit private). Why not take advantage of it and offer an Orbi Arlo enabled. In a way it would be a lot like what Apple offers with HomeKit protocol for routers. It would help improve wireless coverage and even reduce noise. Besides my Orbi with 2 satelites, I have 2 Arlo hubs to provide adequate coverage for our 5 cameras. That's 3 separate WiFi networks broadcasting at our home and that even with Guest access disabled. With Guest access enabled, we're talking 4 competing WiFi networks in a single home!

Message 13 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

NEW technology where no hubs are needed will dominate the smart home industry. Even Amazon is moving away from it, with their "Certified for Humans" technology and Google is following. More and more inexpensive devices are on the market fueling the change.

An Orbi RBK23 system would totally cover a 2100 sq ft. home.
With that many networks it will definitely slow the WIFI Down, hence why your speed suffers.
Message 14 of 16
UW
Guide
Guide

You're right, I should have been fine with the RBK23 and it was woefully inaduquate to blanket our home even with one satelite. I had to return it after a few weeks testing it out and it was horribly slow. There were spots indoors that didn't get coverage at all - before even adding Arlo hubs. Our walls (interior and exterior) are solid and thicker than new stick and cardboard homes in the US. I upgraded to the RBK53 (RBR50 + 2 RBS50 satelites) and that dramatically improved performance, coverage, and even extended outdoors by placing one of the satelites by a window and the main router by another window. It's why I'm leaning towards Linksys, not only for it's "coming soon" HomeKit enabled feature, but the kit I'm looking at getting would have 4 nodes which will give me greater flexibity to blanket indoors and even an outdoor structure.

I like your idea of "NEW technology" where no hubs are needed. Please influence Netgear to ditch Arlo hubs and have their cameras connect directly to Orbi or to be able to be paired with any WiFi network. Arlo hubs are horrible in that not only do they broadcast their own private WiFi network, they don't even play with other Arlo Hubs. When you pair a camera to a hub, that's it, it won't "load balance" or float between available Arlo Hubs on a single network. That was a huge surprise and disapointment. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 15 of 16
UW
Guide
Guide

Good bye Orbi and hello Linksys Velop that are now officially HomeKit enabled! I returned my Orbi RBR50 kit with two satellites yesterday and have been enjoying my new Linksys Velop nodes. Per node the coverage is actually much better, they take up less than half the space, and to boot they improve my network security now that they "Work with HomeKit"! I think the only thing I miss about Orbi is Circle, but that's easy enough to replace given NetGear only offered "1st gen Circle".

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=316767

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 45 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7