• 7 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

HomeKit Router

Will Netgear (Orbi) support iOS 13 with a HomeKit Router?

Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

Re: HomeKit Router

Is this other router infront of the Orbi or will it be behind the Orbi. 

Having two routers on the same line or network is not recommended. There are some suggested configurations though. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Tutor

HomeKit-enabled routers (supported with iOS 13)
Enabled routers bring an extra layer of security to your smart home. Use the Home app to control which services your HomeKit accessories can communicate with in your network and on the internet
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

So are you asking if Orbi has security features? Circl and Armor are an added feature to Orbi systems. These are additional security features that can be enabled on the Orbi system. 

You'll have to ask Apple what devices there Homekit products support and if they work with Orbi systems. General Apple iphones and pads work with Orbi. 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Luminary

HomeKit enabled routers are routers that are capable to comminicate wiht the Apple HomeKit app. You will find this app on apple devices such as computers, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch etc. On Apple TV there are extra features; enabeling automations. Such as lights on when you get home or off when you go.

HomeKit enabled routers will provide an extra security layer aroud each single HomKit divice. So that when one gets hacked, all the others are sill safe. This security will be provided by the router if it is HomeKit enabled through it's firewall.

If such a HomeKit router could also switch on the light when you get home, wich currently only the Apple TV is capable of, is not clear. But it seems to be the next step. Not everyone needs an Apple TV and even though most HomeKit features can be controlled by apps on your phone, It would be nice to have routers also capable of doing that.

Currently Netgear is trying to make an extra buck by offering a whole mess of security layers through their current routers. Updating a router brings you all kinds of new Netgear security hapinesses when you pay for it. They offer the same kind of security to devices that HomeKit enabled routers seem to be able to give you for free, on HomeKit enabled devices.

That gives me the imprssion that Netgear may not be offering HomeKit enabled routers or updates to enable them. Netgear may not want to provide you with this service. Netgear wants your money......

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: HomeKit Router - please add support to Orbi!

Please add Homekit support to Orbi. I have 4 units in use and I generally like it but lack of HK support will force me to sell them and move to Eero or other that does HK

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Initiate

I will do the same thing and abandon the Orbi set up I have for something that is compatible with Homekit. I'd rather configure the basic settings and security from Homekit than the orbi app.

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

You can post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

@notype wrote:

Please add Homekit support to Orbi. I have 4 units in use and I generally like it but lack of HK support will force me to sell them and move to Eero or other that does HK

Message 8 of 8