Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Honewell T9 Smart Thermostat and Orbi RBR50 Router and RBS50 Satelite

Johnboy00
Aspirant

Honewell T9 Smart Thermostat and Orbi RBR50 Router and RBS50 Satelite

Recently purchased Honewell T9 Smart Thermostat. I connected the device successfully to my Orbi RBR50 Router network, and shows "connected to WiFi" on thermostat, but "No Internet or Cloud connection". I have successful internet connection on all other devices. The error message is "socket connection failed. WiFi router is blocking peer to peer connection. Please check your router setting to allow proximal connectivity" How can I " Unblock, or allow proximal connectivity " to allow internet access for this device? In router settings, the device is "allowed" , but I think this is only for WiFi network. Security is set to "WPA2-PSK" Thanks
Message 1 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Is UPnP on or off?  (Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->UPnP)

My brief Google search did not find a User Manual for the T9, any information about how to connect to WiFi, or any of these error messages.

Very strange.

Message 2 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

hat Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Johnboy00 wrote:
Recently purchased Honewell T9 Smart Thermostat. I connected the device successfully to my Orbi RBR50 Router network, and shows "connected to WiFi" on thermostat, but "No Internet or Cloud connection". I have successful internet connection on all other devices. The error message is "socket connection failed. WiFi router is blocking peer to peer connection. Please check your router setting to allow proximal connectivity" How can I " Unblock, or allow proximal connectivity " to allow internet access for this device? In router settings, the device is "allowed" , but I think this is only for WiFi network. Security is set to "WPA2-PSK" Thanks

Message 3 of 20
Johnboy00
Aspirant

UPnP is on.  Advertisment period = 30, Advertisment Time to Live = 4

Yes.  It came with installation guide, and troubleshooting is only thermostat related.  Not connecting to the cloud.

Message 4 of 20
Johnboy00
Aspirant

Arris TM1602 Modem >> NG Orbi RBR50 Router

Router Firmware just updated to latest rev.  Version V2.3.1.44

2500 Sq ft RBR50 router + 1 Satelite RBS50

Thermostat is less than 25 feet from router (connecting fine to WiFi, but router won't allow internet connection for thermostat)

I enabled  Beamforming and MIMO.  ...No change.

I will try setting manual channel

Thanks

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 6 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Johnboy00 wrote:

Strange that Google cannot find these phrases.  (One would think that someone had run into this before.)  I did find some Troubleshooting Tips (although the T9 model is not mentioned): https://ensupport.getconnected.honeywellhome.com/s/article/Why-is-my-Honeywell-Wi-Fi-device-not-conn...

Notice the concern about port restrictions and firewalls:

• Make sure ports 443 and 80 are open.
  • If there is a firewall, make sure the device can connect to the following IP addresses:

Since the Arris TM1602 is only a telephony modem (not a router), the Orbi must be in "Router Mode" to provide IP addresses to everything connected and the Arris is certainly not blocking ports.

I have quite a few "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices, and none of them require ports 80 and 443 to be open from the Internet.  After confirming that Orbi has access control and port blocking turned off, I would contact Honeywell support.

Message 7 of 20
Johnboy00
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.

There is no firewall

Orbi is in Router mode

I even tried turning off 5GHz broadcast, so it would only connect 2.4GHz (read in another blog)

Nothing worked yet.

Don't understand "require ports 80 and 443 to be open from the Internet" 

Do you know how to access/change these? (I know you said probably not necessesary)

Message 8 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Your patience is amazing.  I continue to be dumbfounded that (a) getting a major brand like Honeywell to work could be this difficult, and (b) that (apparently) Google can find nothing about this situation, or even a User Manual about getting this thermostat to work over WiFi.

Have you disabled Daisy Chain?  With one satellite, there is no need for it.

It might be entertaining to see if your Orbi has detected radar signals.  ekhalil provided a method to find out:

As mentioned, Orbi uses DFS channels for backhaul, when Radar signals are detected, Orbi will switch to other channels for backhaul.

To see the events when Orbi detects radar signals you can check this in Orbi log as follows:

1. Enable Telnet in the routers debug.htm page
  2. Telnet to Orbi and enter the following command:
    • root@RBR50:~# cat /var/radardetect.log
  3. You will get printout similar to this:

Radar Detected at [Wed Jan 23 23:19:55 CET 2019 ] on channels [116,120,124,128]

Radar Detected at [Wed Jan 23 23:26:20 CET 2019 ] on channels [100,104,108,112]

I have never found such a log on my Orbi, but then I am in the US.

I agree that it is total nonsense that Honeywell could want their users to "open ports" through their routers to make the thermostat work.  My Nest does not require any open ports.

Message 9 of 20
AmpCat
Aspirant

I have this exact same problem. Any idea how I can get this working?

Edit: Oh, and before people ask the questions again, it's set up pretty much the same as above. It's not a WiFi radio issue, because the Honeywell app sees the thermostat on the network fine. It just can't engage the peer to peer link for whatever reason. So, if someone knows how to either tell the thermostat to try another method, or tell Orbi to allow such a link, please share.

Message 10 of 20
AmpCat
Aspirant

Okay, here's a crazy workaround. Get a different wireless router, (you could use your incoming internet modem/wifi router, for example) set it up, link your phone and the thermostat to THAT router, set up the thermostat and link your phone, then switch your phone to your prefered network.

The thermostat is happily working away now and syncing with the phone. It's not on my primary network however, so I'm still trying to see if I can get that working.

Oh, and I happen to have an old router because when setting up Orbi, I wasn't sure I entirely trusted it to work properly, so I left the other router plugged into the Orbi's ethernet port, still configured and running. And this is why.

Message 11 of 20
Johnboy00
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was able to connect the Thermostat to the cloud using my phone as a hotspot, and register the product.

Then when I turned off that network, and tried to connect to the Netgear router, thermostat showed connected to Netgera router, but no internet connection.

Tried many other things too, like not broadcasting 5GHz SSID to make sure both phone and thermostat connected.

Worked and then didn't.

So frustrating...

I'm done. 

Bought a Ecobee 3 thermostat and sending POS Honeywell back.

Thanks for everyone's posts!

Message 12 of 20
Struct
Aspirant

I'm a bit stuck myself.  I bought 2 T9 thermostats one worked right away and I can't get the second one to work for the life of me.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Struct wrote:

I'm a bit stuck myself.  I bought 2 T9 thermostats one worked right away and I can't get the second one to work for the life of me.  

Did you follow steps similar to this YouTube video (the WiFi part is about 6:45 into the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgD07xh8MMw

(He covered up the screen, so I could not see if the display shows actual letters or if it just shows "dots".)

Since the actual thermostat just pulls off the mounting plate, it might be fun to "swap" them, (1) to see if the first one continues to work when moved, and (2) to see if the one that didn't work suddenly does work.

Message 14 of 20
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

I have a Honeywell T7 and it is working fine with my Orbi. Have you tried changing the DNS server settings in the Orbi to the Google ones? 

Message 15 of 20
Johnboy00
Aspirant

This is not a router issue.

I had a T9, and tried so many things, (partially or unsuccessfully).

Was so frustrated and Sent it back to Amazon and got ecobee 3 lite instead.

Ecobee 3 set up in 5 min.  (the app sets all the handshaking for you) Very good software interface.

Message 16 of 20
Jacek26
Tutor

I have found a solution: took me 5 min to change settings.

You will need to access your orbi via 192.168.1.1 not the orbilogin.com page
* enter user name and password you set up*
* default user: admin default pass: admin

Then follow the video tutorial link on bottom

If you have NETGEAR Orbi WiFi mesh system or any Wi-Fi mesh system and your Honeywell t9 thermostat is not connecting to your WiFi, the reason for that is WiFi mesh systems use one SSID instead of like traditional routers use two. Ex: “your SSID name 2.4ghz “ “ your SSID name 5ghz”
Instead of orbi just gives you one SSID

So. You will need to separate both frequencies. I would start with separating the 2.4ghz channel and leave the 5ghz alone. That’s what I did and it works perfect now.

* don’t worry about your WiFi password it will be stored. You just need to separate the frequencies

If you don’t know how to separate the frequencies on orbi. A guy on YouTube has a 7.5 min tutorial of how to do it. Follow each step and you will succeed.

The link to his tutorial

https://youtu.be/tEgVG8rR5o8

Also he posted a written tutorial but it’s easier for me to follow the video and pause it and type in what I need.

Good luck

Message 17 of 20
AmpCat
Aspirant

I figured this was the problem. However, I recently went back and tried to pair them both to the Orbi again (without making any adjustments to the Orbi) and now it works fine. I'm assuming one of the two (probably the thermostat) was patched to fix this. I've not had this issue with any other Wi-Fi device and the Orbi so I'm assuming it's not an insurmountable problem.

Thanks for the link on how to adjust those settings though. Will be helpful if something else comes up.
Message 18 of 20
Jacek26
Tutor

So I have sold my orbi to a friend and went out and bought WiFi 6 netgear nighthawk but I also need a extender and thinking of getting the eax80 for $249.00 but I am worrying if I will have to tinker with settings or will there be option of leaving the 2.4 and 5ghz turned on Incase my Honeywell t9 still has issues connecting to one name SSID like when I those problems with Orbi.
My current router is the 8 stream nighthawk WiFi 6 RAX80 but also want them eax80 extender.
Message 19 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Please don't take this the wrong way, but doesn't the sort of question belong in the Nighthawk forum?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif... 

It's sort of hard to imagine that Orbi owners would have a lot of advice to offer about how to expand a Nighthawk system.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7