Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hoping to get my devices to choose 5ghz on Orbi RBK23

Daddykev
Aspirant

Hoping to get my devices to choose 5ghz on Orbi RBK23

hi there, I recently installed my orbi and its working quite well. I have a 2 story plus basement house. My router is in my basement and a satellite is on each level of the house. I'm finding in my one bedroom upstairs, my phone is constantly wanting to connect to 2.4ghz, but in the other bedrooms it stays on 5ghz. Im looking to make sure my 5ghz devices are picking 5g. Any help is much appreciated.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

The orbi devices band steer based on bandwidth needs and connections strength. That 1 bedroom might have a degraded signal for the 5ghz which its why the phone is ending up on the 2.4ghz. 

You could always try turning down the broadcast power of the 2.4ghz but it might negatively impact your 2.4ghz devices. 

Message 2 of 8
Daddykev
Aspirant

Is it possible to turn down the 2.4ghz signal just on the upstairs satellite?
Message 3 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@Daddykev wrote:
hi there, I recently installed my orbi and its working quite well. I have a 2 story plus basement house. My router is in my basement and a satellite is on each level of the house. I'm finding in my one bedroom upstairs, my phone is constantly wanting to connect to 2.4ghz, but in the other bedrooms it stays on 5ghz. Im looking to make sure my 5ghz devices are picking 5g. Any help is much appreciated.

How are your Satellites place with regard to distance from each other and the Orbi router? Is Daisy Chaining turned on or off. If off turn on, if on turn off, to see if it makes a difference.

Try forgetting the WIFI on the phone and then relogin to the WIFI. 

Message 4 of 8
GMoGoody8
Luminary

The GUI setting for transmit power is for all devices. If you feel adventurous you could telnet into the Satellite and try to reduce the transmit power that way. There is a thread for advanced users with tips and tricks that might have the commands for that.  Caveats to doing stuff like this is you could brick devices or screw them up, and sometimes settings set this way don't survive a reboot. 

Message 5 of 8
Daddykev
Aspirant

I would definitely not be up for that, I am a complete idiot.

I'll try to look into the GUI setting
Message 6 of 8
GMoGoody8
Luminary

In the GUI transmit power can be found. Advanced Tab --> Advanced Setup --> Wireless Settings --> Each Radio will have a Transmit Power Control Drop down with tha ability to select 100%, 75%, 50% and 25%

Message 7 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

Usually the main reason your device will keep connecting 2.4Ghz is because the 5Ghz signal is too weak. With that said, turning down the power on 2.4Ghz may help you connect 5Ghz, however, the signal may be so weak you will get slow WIFI speeds or intermittant disconnects. If possible can you move the satellite to a closer location?

You can download and run a WIFI analyzer like WifiInfoView or Netspot. They will give you some information on how your router satellites' WIFI are performing.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7