Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: House wired with CAT6. Can I use a network switch instead of satellites and wifi

ShankarHokie
Apprentice

House wired with CAT6. Can I use a network switch instead of satellites and wifi

Hello all,

As I discussed in March, our new home is fully wired with CAT6 cables wherever a TV or Computer is going to be. Probably 10 locations.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK53-system-Should-I-wire-new-home-for-ethernet/m-p/1871...

In my previous thread,  I was still discussing wireless connections. So, I was advised to keep the router in the main room and wire back to the basement and use the switch to provide direct connections to the satellites.

I am now wondering if I need to do that even.

If I keep the modem & the router in the communication closet in the basement, then buy a 10 or 15 port unmanaged, non green switch, can I not just connect all the CAT6 cables going to each room to the back of the switch and use RJ45 cables in each room to get a wired connection for each device instead of wireless?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

Re: House wired with CAT6. Can I use a network switch instead of satellites and wifi

@ShankarHokie wrote:

The house will be 2800 sq ft. 3 levels. Nothing to be connected in the basement.  2 offices and a media center in the first floor. Network connected garage door opener. 4 media ceners in the 2nd floor. All of these spots have network drops with cat 6 wiring.

Now that I think about it, I might have to connect at least one RBS for our cell phones to connect to the home network vis wifi.

I was hoping that I can connect all my TVs and media devices to the wired network without having the satellite next to them.

My home has a similar setup to what you are askiing. My Orbi system is RBR50 router, 2 RBS50 satellites, 1 RBS40V satellite.

The Orbi system is a plus because I love having full WIFI throughout my home for phones, tablets, cameras, and Amazon Echos and smart devices.

With that said, I go from the ISP modem to the Orbi router to a large switch with cables to various rooms for hard wired devices. In 2 strategic office areas I have a satellite connect to the cable from the switch and then plugged a switch into each of the satellites for more hard wired connections in those areas. 

The end result is I have full fast wired and WIFI coverage throughout my home and a separate building.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can. Please follow this guide for wire connecting the RBS to the RBR using a switch:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 9
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Thanks @FURRYe38 . I was wondering if I even need to use the RBS50. 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS would be considered as wired APs if you used them if your not looking for wireless coverage on the area then you may not need them at all.

RBS are for additional wifi coverage through out the home and in remote locations were wifi signal may low or not existent. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? IF you have a small home, then you may only need the RBR. I have a 5000sq ft home and have 1 RBR and 1 RBS and this works well for my size of home. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 4 of 9
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

The house will be 2800 sq ft. 3 levels. Nothing to be connected in the basement.  2 offices and a media center in the first floor. Network connected garage door opener. 4 media ceners in the 2nd floor. All of these spots have network drops with cat 6 wiring.

Now that I think about it, I might have to connect at least one RBS for our cell phones to connect to the home network vis wifi.

I was hoping that I can connect all my TVs and media devices to the wired network without having the satellite next to them.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you still can, you can put a switch at the remote location or near where these wired devices would be, like a 5 port GS-105. Then you can connect the RBS here at this location as well to wire connect it. I have this same configuration on my RBS in the basement. Have a xbox and a PC there thats wired to the switch in the basement along with the wired RBS for wireless connections at the other side of the home. 

Message 6 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@ShankarHokie wrote:

My home has a similar setup to what you are askiing. My Orbi system is RBR50 router, 2 RBS50 satellites, 1 RBS40V satellite.

The Orbi system is a plus because I love having full WIFI throughout my home for phones, tablets, cameras, and Amazon Echos and smart devices.

With that said, I go from the ISP modem to the Orbi router to a large switch with cables to various rooms for hard wired devices. In 2 strategic office areas I have a satellite connect to the cable from the switch and then plugged a switch into each of the satellites for more hard wired connections in those areas. 

The end result is I have full fast wired and WIFI coverage throughout my home and a separate building.

Message 7 of 9
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Excellent! That's what I wanted to know.

Thank you @FURRYe38 and @Mstrbig !!

I will probably do the same here. I will have one RBS in my main office with a switch to connect my desktop, printer, Ooma, Xfinity home security etc. I will then have the other RBS in the main media room with a switch to connect the TV, Dish Hopper, DVD player, etc. This way, my wife & I can plug in our laptops with an ethernet cable when we work from our dedicated offices, and go on wifi when we are working from other parts of the house.

Any recommendations for non green unmanaged switches for the basement RBR and to be near the RBS?

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

NGs GS-105s supposedly work. I use D-LInk DGS-105/108s with my system. No issues. 

HPs 1400/1800 series work as well. 

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Excellent! That's what I wanted to know.
I will probably do the same here. I will have one RBS in my main office with a switch to connect my desktop, printer, Ooma, Xfinity home security etc. I will then have the other RBS in the main media room with a switch to connect the TV, Dish Hopper, DVD player, etc. This way, my wife & I can plug in our laptops with an ethernet cable when we work from our dedicated offices, and go on wifi when we are working from other parts of the house.

Any recommendations for non green unmanaged switches for the basement RBR and to be near the RBS?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7