Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Houston, we have a problem. RBR50 F.W. 2.5.1.8 - SSID Renaming not sticking

nuclear_bullet
Aspirant

Houston, we have a problem. RBR50 F.W. 2.5.1.8 - SSID Renaming not sticking

Just manually updated the firmware to 2.5.1.8 from 2.3.X.X (can't remember the last two numbers).

My biggest problem is that after renaming the 5GHz SSID by using the Telnet, config set wla_ssid="YOUR 5GHz SSID NAME" and config commit, then, reboot, DOES NOT STICK

Strange thing is, after a reboot, the debug menu automatically turned off the "Enable Telnet" flag that was set in order to Telnet into the Orbi to issue the config set command.

The 5GHz SSID would show up, my wireless devices will connect to itt and get network access, but after some time the 5GHz would disappear altogether and the SSID of the 5GHz will revert back to whatever was globally set (Which is my wl_ssid 2.4GHz SSID)

So after some time with the 5GHz SSID set, it would revert back (wla_ssid == wl_ssid).

My RBR50 is in AP mode, and I have two RBS50, and I manually went into each web interface for each IP address of the RBR/RBS/RBS setup I have, and uploaded the 2.5.1.8 firmware of its respective type (RBR prefix firmware for the RBR and the RBS prefixed firmware file for the satellites).

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Why hasn't Netgear given us a choice to name the 2.4GHz differently than the 5GHz?  Is it because part of their mesh algorithm does a hand-off between 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios?

I came from the Asus-world of Mesh radios and I don't understand why Netgear does not allow us to give a unique name to the two different SSIDs.

And where is this Tri-Band function?  For the 5GHz radio, I don't see an option to set the upper 5GHz (5.8GHz) bands.  All I get is the lower 5GHz band.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@nuclear_bullet wrote:

Just manually updated the firmware to 2.5.1.8 from 2.3.X.X (can't remember the last two numbers).

My biggest problem is that after renaming the 5GHz SSID by using the Telnet, config set wla_ssid="YOUR 5GHz SSID NAME" and config commit, then, reboot, DOES NOT STICK

So after some time with the 5GHz SSID set, it would revert back (wla_ssid == wl_ssid).

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Why hasn't Netgear given us a choice to name the 2.4GHz differently than the 5GHz?  Is it because part of their mesh algorithm does a hand-off between 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios?

Yes, others are experiencing the same problem with the latest FW v2.5.1.8.  It's a well kown Orbi restriction that it doesn't make this feature available via Web UI for advanced users, but there's a workaround if you're adventurous: Separate WiFi/SSIDs 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands on Guest Network. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@nuclear_bullet wrote:

And where is this Tri-Band function?  For the 5GHz radio, I don't see an option to set the upper 5GHz (5.8GHz) bands.  All I get is the lower 5GHz band.

"Tri-Band" refers to the fact that Orbi uses three separate radios on three separate frequencies.

• One 2.4G radio & set of antennas for user devices on channels 1-11 (to 13 in some countries that allow it)
  • One 5G radio & set of antennas for user devices on channels 36-48
  • One 5G radio & set of antennas for the "backhaul" connection between Orbi router and satellites on a higher channel
    The SSID for this connection is not broadcast, i.e. "hidden" and the user cannot set the channel used

Alas, I am unable to comment on different SSID's for 2.4G and 5G networks.  I have never had a need to do this.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Configuration of the SSIDs via tel net is not generally supported by NG. Nor is separation of SSIDs from Smart Connect. 

All configurations of the wifi radios need to be done thru the web page on the RBR. 

NG and Orbi have kept policy and there intended design to only have a single SSID name and PW. Letting the system and connected client device chose which frequency to connect too. For the most part it's up to the client devices to pick which frequency they connect too for those that are dual band supporting. 

If this doesn't meet your desired configuration needs, Orbi may not be something that suits your needs. 

@nuclear_bullet wrote:

Strange thing is, after a reboot, the debug menu automatically turned off the "Enable Telnet" flag that was set in order to Telnet into the Orbi to issue the config set command.

The 5GHz SSID would show up, my wireless devices will connect to itt and get network access, but after some time the 5GHz would disappear altogether and the SSID of the 5GHz will revert back to whatever was globally set (Which is my wl_ssid 2.4GHz SSID)

My RBR50 is in AP mode, and I have two RBS50, and I manually went into each web interface for each IP address of the RBR/RBS/RBS setup I have, and uploaded the 2.5.1.8 firmware of its respective type (RBR prefix firmware for the RBR and the RBS prefixed firmware file for the satellites).

I came from the Asus-world of Mesh radios and I don't understand why Netgear does not allow us to give a unique name to the two different SSIDs.

Message 3 of 7
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@nuclear_bullet wrote:

Yes, others are experiencing the same problem with the latest FW v2.5.1.8.  It's a well kown Orbi restriction that it doesn't make this feature available via Web UI for advanced users, but there's a workaround if you're adventurous: Separate WiFi/SSIDs 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands on Guest Network. 

Message 4 of 7
nuclear_bullet
Aspirant

Thanks all for the replies.  I did the Guest Network work-around, but it really would be better if the user is allowed to set different SSID.

If the third 5GHz band is used as a backhaul, then we should at least have the option to choose which SSID to connect to.

Message 5 of 7
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@nuclear_bullet wrote:

Thanks all for the replies.  I did the Guest Network work-around, but it really would be better if the user is allowed to set different SSID.

If the third 5GHz band is used as a backhaul, then we should at least have the option to choose which SSID to connect to.

Right.  It will also be great for marketing, which will gain more market share for Orbi or its bigger AX brother, if it's allowed via Web UI.  For example, separate subnets for Guest Network is already showing up in AX version.  Hopefully, that feature will trickle from AX down to Orbi in future FW update.

Yes, there's a third more powerful 5GHz band, which is used for backhaul.  If you're curious, point your browser at http://192.168.1.1/hidden_info.htm

Message 6 of 7
klark1kent
Tutor

I'm not sure why you're catching so much flack for asking this question. I've had an Orbi RBK50 for longer than I'd like to have had, I guess 2 years or something, and after every update I also run the commands for 2.4 and 5 bands... This is the first version that the change hasn't stuck even running config commit.  Same here, disabling telnet after reboot. It's a pain in the ass. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7