Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How Many Simultaneous Connections Can The Orbi WiFi Possibly Support (For Running A Webserver)

How Many Simultaneous Connections Can The Orbi WiFi Possibly Support (For Running A Webserver)

Hello,

I have been running a local webserver off of my Netgear Orbi system (via portforwarding). What's happening is that it will run fine for a while, then it will start to fail. The software seems to geerate no crash warnings, and I and their tech support have suggested that my web server is generating the maximum number of connections that my Orbi system can hande, causing it to cut the connection, though I am still able to visit websites when this happens.

My web server can get up to several thousand connections to it at once, the sent data never too much too slow my connection down, the allowed connection speed is about 1mb per second. 

I am wondering, for this purpose, about how many connections to it is the Orbi system capable of handelig at once?

Thank you.

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How Many Simultaneous Connections Can The Orbi WiFi Possibly Support (For Running A Webserver)

Also be aware that this units are home class systems, not business class systems so having a web server may not be best on the Orbi system. if you need a ton of connections, you should look into a different router that can handle your appropriate web services for you needs. You can always connect the Orbi system in AP mode and use it as your wireless mesh system.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
budy
Luminary

Betreff: How Many Simultaneous Connections Can The Orbi WiFi Possibly Support (For Running A Webserv

If that happens, go to the Orbi's debug page http://<your orbi>/debug.htm and check your system statistics. There you can gauge the RAM usage and the number of active connections. Mine currently looks like this:

Basic Infomation
CPU Load	6.89655%
Memory Usage(Used/Total)	187MB/495MB
Flash Usage(Used/Total)	32MB/4GB
Network Session(Active/Total)	1521/65536
System Uptime 	07:11:55:43 

You could change that via the telnet interface like this:

root@RBR40:/# sysctl -w net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max=131072
net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max = 131072

But 65k connections should be enough in the first place. If the connections really get maxed out, then you maybe should take a closer look at your webserver conf and see, if you can optimize that.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How Many Simultaneous Connections Can The Orbi WiFi Possibly Support (For Running A Webserver)

Also be aware that this units are home class systems, not business class systems so having a web server may not be best on the Orbi system. if you need a ton of connections, you should look into a different router that can handle your appropriate web services for you needs. You can always connect the Orbi system in AP mode and use it as your wireless mesh system.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7