Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How To Disable 5g Permanently On Orbi Router

ChihSiang
Aspirant

How To Disable 5g Permanently On Orbi Router

Hi all, I have a need to disable the 5hz band permanently on my Orbi system but I can't seem to find any way to do it via the app or via Oribilogin.com. Can anyone help to advise if there's a way to do it?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
tsig
Luminary

Re: How To Disable 5g Permanently On Orbi Router

you could just set up the guest 2.4 and use that, unless somehow the 5 ghz is affecting something else.  I think you can turn the power down though?

Message 2 of 6
bacon333
Tutor

I use a Netgear X4S to stream Blu-Ray over the air. Unfortunately, I could only use the lower channels in the 5 GHz band on the network bridge (WD My Net). This coincides with the 5 GHz channels used for the Orbi, which reduces the bandwidth dramatically. This makes streaming impossible. I'm not afraid of the command line so if Netgear could point me to where I could disable the /etc/config/wireless file from being overwritten, that would be great. Changing ath1, ath2, and ath11 to disabled '1' gets overwritten when running "wifi reload." 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Tring to disable 5Ghz would be counter productive and would not help since this is a MESH system which depends on both radios running. Kind of defeats the design and purpose of a wireless MESH system.

Message 4 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

Orbi isn't exactly a "Mesh" product because it uses a dedicated backhaul (5ghz in this case via a 2nd 5Ghz radio). This makes it better performing than its Mesh counter parts like the Google Wifi etc as you dont lose bandwidth from the first to last satellite as its in a star topology. They did add the chain feature now though. Anyhow due to the way Orbi works, you can't disable the 5Ghz radio via GUI. Probably can via telnet though, but you would lose connectivity with the satellite unit. For your purpose you were probably better off with an extender instead of the Orbi.

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ChihSiang wrote:

Hi all, I have a need to disable the 5hz band permanently on my Orbi system ...

why?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7