Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I accurately measure the Wifi strength and gaps in my Orbi home?

gfla5
Aspirant

How can I accurately measure the Wifi strength and gaps in my Orbi home?

Have an RBR50 and RBS50 in a 3600sq ft 2 story newer home (considering getting a second satellite - but first want to get these working!).  Main router in office on 1st floor, second unit also on first floor on opposite side of home.  The Satellite seems to be dropping connection too frequently and I have to reboot.  I have Sonos speakers everywhere, Arlo cameras, Amazon Echo/Dots, Philips Hue lights, Nest thermostats, Macs & iOS devices.  Cant seem to pinpoint where my gap is...or if that is even the problem... get very inconsisten results using a bandwidth throughput app like Speedtest.  I used to never have to worry about the Orbis...now they seem to be becoming high maintenance - which is exactly the problem I set out to avoid when I bought them.  Ideas?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2
st_shaw
Master

Re: How can I accurately measure the Wifi strength and gaps in my Orbi home?

Start by moving the satellite closer to the router.  Firmware v2.X seems to have reduced the range for stable router-to-satellite connections (or the firmware is more sensitive to signal variability.)

Beyond that, you have a lot of devices that can cause interference if not properly configured. You might need to do some homework and some channel planning to get things to coexist.

For instance:

1. Sonos can interfere with the Orbi 2.4 WiFi client band as well as the 5 GHz backhaul.

2. I believe the Arlo base station has it's own WAP on 2.4 that could interfere.

3. Hue uses Zigbee, and Zigbee channels overlap with the 2.4 GHz WiFi client band.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7