Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I convert WiFi to Ethernet?

RobertWycoff
Aspirant

How can I convert WiFi to Ethernet?

I have an ethernet cable in the room where one of my Orbi Satellites is.  Can I just plug in the ethernet cable to use it or do I have to reboot the Orbi?  What is the procedure?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
budy
Luminary

Re: How can I convert WiFi to Ethernet?

You just have to connect the satellite via ethernet to the Orbi router. It doesn't matter, if you do this directly between them or via a switch. Afterwards, you will have to restart the satellite and wait a couple of minutes. It takes some time, before the ethernet backhaul gets noted in the GUI. What you will also get, however, is the messed up states in the attached devices page, where all clients that are active on the sat are displayed as wired to the router. The sat's web UI will provide correct states.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 8

All Replies
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

I guess the ethernet ports on the Satellite are output and not input, so there is no way to connect them to my network with ethernet.

Am I correct?

Message 2 of 8
budy
Luminary

You just have to connect the satellite via ethernet to the Orbi router. It doesn't matter, if you do this directly between them or via a switch. Afterwards, you will have to restart the satellite and wait a couple of minutes. It takes some time, before the ethernet backhaul gets noted in the GUI. What you will also get, however, is the messed up states in the attached devices page, where all clients that are active on the sat are displayed as wired to the router. The sat's web UI will provide correct states.

Message 3 of 8
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@budy wrote:

Ah.  Now I remember.  Backhaul?  Is that what this is?  OK, thanks for the warning.  My phiysical layout is gateway ethernet to Orbi, Orbi ethernet to 8-port gigabit switch, switch ethernet to Orbi Satellite.  I will give it a try.  I should be able to go back to wifi if I can't get it running.

Thanks.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
budy
Luminary

This should just work fine. My setup is router <-> Orbi router (AP mode) <-> Zyxel Switch <-> Orbi satellite. I suspect some multicat traffic is being generated by the Orbi devices and as long as the switch doesn't block those, they will find each other just fine.

Message 5 of 8
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@budy wrote:

This should just work fine. My setup is router <-> Orbi router (AP mode) <-> Zyxel Switch <-> Orbi satellite. I suspect some multicat traffic is being generated by the Orbi devices and as long as the switch doesn't block those, they will find each other just fine.

Hmm.  How do I know that it is working?

Message 6 of 8
budy
Luminary

Well… if all of your devices usually connecting to your satellite, suddenly show up as wired on the router, then you can be sure, that they are coming in via the ethernet channel. In that regard, this flaw has something to it, hasn't it? Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@budy wrote:

Well… if all of your devices usually connecting to your satellite, suddenly show up as wired on the router, then you can be sure, that they are coming in via the ethernet channel. In that regard, this flaw has something to it, hasn't it? Smiley Wink

Yep, the Orbi web interface shows that satellite's connection is wired.  

Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7