Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How can I get devices to automatically connect to my Satellite, rather than the main router?

Brian1952
Aspirant

How can I get devices to automatically connect to my Satellite, rather than the main router?

I have an Orbi RBR20 with main router and one satelite. It works very well but when I check the Orbi App, my music streamer is connected at 2.4Ghz to the main router rather then the Satelite which is much nearer. The sreamer works but the signal strength on the App is low. Other devices are connected to the router or satelite depending on where they are in the house and WiFi is at 5 Ghz.

Should I worry?

Would changing the streamer connection make a difference?

How can I change it?

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: How can I get devices to automatically connect to my Satellite, rather than the main router?

how far apart are your orbi's? For proper operation they need at least 30 ft in between them. 

Firmware on the orbi's?

Message 2 of 5
Brian1952
Aspirant

Thanks. Firmware is v2.3.1.58

Distance is problematic: they are only 15-20ft apart but not much flexibility to move - Router is wired to my iMac desktop beside my broadband modem, Satelite is wired to my NAS whch is also wired to my HiFi, whch is wired to the TV, which is wired to the wall mounted antenna socket ....... :<(

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Orbi's really do struggle when they're to close. There's mutliple people/situations on here who've had problems that were due to being to close together. not sure how/the best way for you to move them but I'd wager thats where your problems are coming from if they're only 15-20ft apart. 

Message 4 of 5
Brian1952
Aspirant

I’ll have to think how I could move them - but in fact in many ways they are working all right. The Orbis were installed to replace power line WiFi extenders and since then we haven’t had any of the signal problems/dropouts we had before. So, it’s more a question of whether we could do even better if we can move them.

Many thanks anyway.

Brian

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7