Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I make sure my Orbit Satellites are Daisy Linked?

How can I make sure my Orbit Satellites are Daisy Linked?

Hi, I have a netgear orbi system with one main modem and two satelites (Firmware Version: V2.1.2.18). The first satelite works perfectly, however when I turn the third satelite on it synchornizes automatically, but drops connection at random times, leaving me to think it is trying to connect with the main router instead of the other satelite which is closer. Is there a way I can check is the routers are in daisy chain mode (meaning they are connecting to each other)? Thank you very much.

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How can I make sure my Orbit Satellites are Daisy Linked?

What is the distances between the router and each satellite in this chain? 

How big is your home? SqFt?

Message 2 of 11
st_shaw
Master

@thatoneandonly wrote:

Is there a way I can check is the routers are in daisy chain mode (meaning they are connecting to each other)? Thank you very much.

Yes. Log into the router's web user interface and look at the Attached Devices screen.  The listing for each satellite will show whether the satellite is connected to the router or to another satelite.This is under the "Connected Orbi" column.

You must have daisy chain enabled under the advanced setup, wireless settings page for the daisy chain to work.

Message 3 of 11

I'd say about 60 feet between the orbi sataletes, thank you.

Message 4 of 11

Well, I turned the 3rd satelite on, and it said it was connected to the other staelite for about 10 minutes  before suddenly saying it was disconnected. Another thing I've noticed is that when the third satelite is on, the devices in my section of the property will be randomly booted offline at random times whereas machines on other parts of the property are uneffected. This happens less often, not never, when the third satelite is turned off. This is strange I wonder why this is happening?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try moving the satllite closer, say 50 feet and try again. Possible that the distance is too far...

What channels are you using on the Orbi router? Auto or manual?

Message 6 of 11

I believe manual, but how could I check that?

As for the distance, it seems strage that my devices in my area (mostly) would have no problem connectig to the other satelite, but the third router would have so much trouble from the exact same distance... 

Message 7 of 11

Thank you very much for your time.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Well anything is possible. There could be some form of signal degradation as it's getting repeated on a 3rd satellite down the chain so distance may be a factor. Please try closing the distance. You maybe on the limits of the signal range. 

You can check wireless configuration by logging into the Orbi routers web page in a browser at 192.168.1.1

Message 9 of 11

I tired doing that and it seems to have worked so far, thanks.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Hope it keeps working for you. 

Enjoy. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7