Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can Netgear say that ORBI6 system "STREAMS WItHOUT BUFFERING

ebob
Aspirant

How can Netgear say that ORBI6 system "STREAMS WItHOUT BUFFERING

I just got an eail from netgear and it says "streams without buffering".   what makes it possible for Netgear to make that claim.   I haver a Nighthawk X10 now and i get bufferingd now on firestick streams.  don't answer too technically.  i am not a techie.  thx.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: How can Netgear say that ORBI6 system "STREAMS WItHOUT BUFFERING

Because they test under optimal conditions. 

A lot depends on what device you're using, the home you're in, distance, speed paid for, and interference.

If you're home is made of brick/concrete, adobe, metal, plaster lathe, etc its going to block wifi very well.

A home thats to large, is going to need more than 1 router/AP.

A home/apartment that has a bunch of people using wifi/broadcasting is going to have more interference and struggle more than a home that lives in the country without any other signals. 

And an older device or single band device is going to struggle with HD/streaming/gaming. For instance, I had a 1st gen firestick that couldn't stream 720p reliably but the next generation could stream 1080p fine. And the one after that, 4K. 

So there's many variables to take into account. But Netgear says it because under normal usage with current devices and an "average home" with average US internet speeds, can stream without buffering. 

Message 2 of 4
ebob
Aspirant

So would I see dramatic improvement over my nighthawk X10?
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

the X10 was a really capable device. And still is. Without knowing more its tough to tell for sure. 

I'd be more looking at the other things I pointed out like 

1. device

2. distance

3. interference

4. which band its on. 

Which firestick? The 1st generation was pretty much worthless for streaming. the 2nd slightly better but it *just* met minimum requirements under optimal conditions

Are you streaming over 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

What speeds do you pay for? 

how far from the router is the streamer?

What is your interior home materials made of? how big is the home?

If you have a large home, the Orbi AX might make a big difference just because of the satellites. But if you've only got a 50mbps connection, you'd be better off to go with the cheaper Orbi triband AC systems beause they'd easily max out your speeds. So again, details help 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7