Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I cache the password for admin?

o_b
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I cache the password for admin?

RBR50 with firmware V2.5.1.16.

Happens on Firefox ( Version 77.0 ) and Chrome ( Version 83.0.4103.61 ).

When I login to my RBR50 web interface, it asks for my username (admin) and password.

I enter these, and life is grand.

I select "Attached Devices" from the left hand side, and the "Attached Devices" page is displayed.

If I change focus from the browser to another app, after some time period, the Orbi web interface asks me for my userid/password combination, again.  The exact error message is (in the popup dialog box):

Authentication Required - Mozilla Firefox
https://192.168.1.1 is requesting your username and password.  The site says: "NETGEAR Orbi"

User Name admin <- admin is highlighted
Password ******

I have the Cancel and OK buttons below.

If I click on the OK button, life is good...until the timer expires and the popup reappears.

This doesn't seem to happen on other pages within the web interface, only the "Attached Devices" page.

Is there a setting that prevents this annoyance from popping up?

P.S. I've seen others ask this question in this forum with no answer.

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How do I cache the password for admin?

I also do not see the point in having only one screen with a timeout.  Either all should, or none should.

I think there is no setting available to users.  I also have not found a parameter in the hidden Orbi settings that appears to relate to this.

What I have done to mitigate the annoyance is to use a separate browser for the Orbi web interface.  When I have multiple windows open in Firefox and am typing madly away on a forum post when that popup appears, I usually wind up typing over "admin", so not only to I have to click "OK", I also have to back up and retype "admin".  Using two browsers means that window can sit there waiting for me to come back.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I also do not see the point in having only one screen with a timeout.  Either all should, or none should.

I think there is no setting available to users.  I also have not found a parameter in the hidden Orbi settings that appears to relate to this.

What I have done to mitigate the annoyance is to use a separate browser for the Orbi web interface.  When I have multiple windows open in Firefox and am typing madly away on a forum post when that popup appears, I usually wind up typing over "admin", so not only to I have to click "OK", I also have to back up and retype "admin".  Using two browsers means that window can sit there waiting for me to come back.

Message 2 of 3
o_b
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate the tip, @CrimpOn 

I did see your unanswered post on this forum from an earlier timeframe.

I guess I'll 'move on' and mark your answer as a solution.

I do really like Orbi, but this is an issue that Netgear  could fix.

Again, thanks for your help/confirmation.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7