Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I change my Router MAC Address? I can only change the 'Internet Port' MAC address.

DoughnutLover
Follower

How do I change my Router MAC Address? I can only change the 'Internet Port' MAC address.

In the advanced tab of the router page under ADVANCED Home, I see that I have two MAC addresses, one under the Router Information section, and another under the Internet Port section.

What is the difference between these two MAC addresses? I see that I can change the second MAC address on the Setup > Internet Setup page, but how do I change the actual Router MAC address?

I am trying to force my ISP to give me a new IP address, and I've read that changing the router MAC is the way to do this. Changing the MAC for Internet Port doesn't have this effect though, so how do I change the other one?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How do I change my Router MAC Address? I can only change the 'Internet Port' MAC address.

The option to change MAC address is what you want. It is intended for the TINY subset of users who need to have their new router "appear" to be the same as the old one, that is to say, "nothing has changed". 

Maybe it would help is you explain WHY you need this to happen? 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

These can't be changed. They are hard coded into the system.

Message 3 of 4

@CrimpOn wrote:

The option to change MAC address is what you want. It is intended for the TINY subset of users who need to have their new router "appear" to be the same as the old one, that is to say, "nothing has changed". 

Maybe it would help is you explain WHY you need this to happen? 

Bang on there.

And some more information on your local network might help. It may be that your modem is where you should be looking.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7