Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I change the Orbi satellites's password?

todddel68
Tutor

How do I change the Orbi satellites's password?

During initial setup I set a password that I now want to change. I can do that for the Router in the web interface settings but the satellite will still keep the 'old' password. No syncing withe the router nor a dedicated tab in the satellite's browser interface. 

Please provide a 'change password' option in the satellite's interface or make it sync properly with the router.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Try to remove the RBS from the RBR systems UI. Then factory reset the RBS then re-add it using the sync buttons on the RBR and RBS. The re-add should sync the PW to the RBS for whats set on the RBR. 

@todddel68 wrote:

I have the same setup and it doesn't sync the admin password. I had the satellite reset and synced again but it didn't do anything. Changing the pw on the router is never synced onto the sat. This seems to be a common problem judging by the threads here which for some reason I cannot reply to as a new user. Some have it, some don't.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Which Orbi model is this, and which password?  My RBR50 and RBS50 sync the passwords automatically (i.e. the WiFi login password and the Orbi administrative password).  There is no password option on the satellite because the router controls both.

If the satellite is "stuck", I would do a factory reset on the satellite and resync it to the router.

Message 2 of 12
todddel68
Tutor

I have the same setup and it doesn't sync the admin password. I had the satellite reset and synced again but it didn't do anything. Changing the pw on the router is never synced onto the sat. This seems to be a common problem judging by the threads here which for some reason I cannot reply to as a new user. Some have it, some don't.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try to remove the RBS from the RBR systems UI. Then factory reset the RBS then re-add it using the sync buttons on the RBR and RBS. The re-add should sync the PW to the RBS for whats set on the RBR. 

@todddel68 wrote:

Message 4 of 12
todddel68
Tutor

Can't see how to "remove" it. However, I reset it to factory settings an resynced router and satellite and now the sattellite defaulted to the standard password and things are even worse cause now it has this pw everybody can find on the www and it can not be changed.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Removing a satellite is simple, but sort of hidden.  Turn off power to the satellite.  Then go to the router web interface and look at Attached Devices.  The satellite will show as "not connected" and there will be an option to Delete it.  The option does not show up when the satellite is conneced and has power.  (Not what I would have chosen, but that's what it is.)

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I want to be sure and not buy one of this particular Orbi.  What does the label on the satellite say for model number?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Once the satellite is removed and re-synced, the satellite automatically will pick up the PW set forth by the RBR. You can't change the satellites PW otherwise. 

Let us know the model # of the RBS.

@todddel68 wrote:

Can't see how to "remove" it. However, I reset it to factory settings an resynced router and satellite and now the sattellite defaulted to the standard password and things are even worse cause now it has this pw everybody can find on the www and it can not be changed.

Message 8 of 12
todddel68
Tutor

Okay, remove-reset-resync worked, the PW is now the same on both devices. Thank you so much. Now I only have to get the wired ethernet to my RBS50 working again...

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure Daisy Chain is disabled on the RBR before connecting up the RBS via ethernet. 

Please mark your post as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 12
FightingFurball
Aspirant

I had a similar problem signing into the Orbi Satellites after changing my password on the Orbi Router.  In my case, the initial satellite login always failed (I think it was a 404 message).  But if I just did a browser refresh,, I was then logged in.

I have lived with this situation for awhile but it has now been resolved after I updated the firmware to version V2.3.5.30.  FYI, I did the automatic "Update All" method, not the manual update.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@FightingFurball wrote:

I had a similar problem signing into the Orbi Satellites after changing my password on the Orbi Router.  In my case, the initial satellite login always failed (I think it was a 404 message).  But if I just did a browser refresh,, I was then logged in.

I have lived with this situation for awhile but it has now been resolved after I updated the firmware to version V2.3.5.30.  FYI, I did the automatic "Update All" method, not the manual update.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7