Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I find Cable Modem IP address if using Orbi

IcedCorn
Tutor

How do I find Cable Modem IP address if using Orbi

I have an Orbi, I'm using as a Router with a Hitron cable modem that's also a router. I have the Hitron in IP Passthrough mode to the Orbi.

However, I can't figure out a way to login to the Hitron unless I plug in a wired connection directly to it. Is there a way to look up the IP address of the Hitron and login to it from the Orbi? The gateway address on the Orbi doesn't work -- unless I have to identify the port number or something.

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a fascinating question.  Now that the Hitron is essentially "a modem", it no longer has an IP address of its own.  The "public" IP address belongs to the Orbi.  Will be interested in the solution if someone comes up with one.

The other question, of course, is "why?"  Getting the Hitron into passthrough mode avoids "double NAT", which is what is recommended.

Message 2 of 11
IcedCorn
Tutor

Because I may want to turn on WiFi on the hitron, because the speeds seem better sometimes. I don't understand why but they do. 

Same with wired to hitron vs wired to Orbi. And the Orbi is literally right next to the hitron. 

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the Hitron have more than one LAN port on the back?  A lot of modem/routers respond to 192.168.100.1 as a default.(or was it 192.168.0.1?  oh, geez.  memory has failed me, and I deleted my notes when my UBEE was swapped out a couple of months ago)

Message 4 of 11
IcedCorn
Tutor

I think that will just direct me to the Orbi. 

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, with the Hiltron in passthrough mode, the WAN port on the Orbi will have the public IP address from the ISP (Sprectum, Cox, whomever).  The Orbi typically assigns itself 192.168.1.1 as the internet gateway for all attached devices and uses DHCP to assign addresses in the 192.168.1.x range to everything attached to itself.  So, 192.168.0.x is not part of the Orbi network.  Neither is 192.168.100.x

Back when I had the UBEE operating in router mode, I was able to connect to it, and my (dim) memory was that the UBEE web interface was at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1.  I can't do that anymore because my UBEE was replaced with a "simple modem" and I have (as yet) never found a method for the user to connect to a management interface on the modem.  (I want to look at "signal levels".)

Message 6 of 11

@IcedCorn wrote:

Because I may want to turn on WiFi on the hitron, because the speeds seem better sometimes. I don't understand why but they do. 

One way to achieve this is to put the Orbi into AP mode.

A lot of people do that and seem to lose little in the way of useful features.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Hitron is in passthrough mode and the Orbi is put in AP mode, then the customer has no DHCP server.

Message 8 of 11

@CrimpOn wrote:

If the Hitron is in passthrough mode and the Orbi is put in AP mode, then the customer has no DHCP server.

So, put the Hitron into modem/router mode and the Orbi into AP mode.

I didn't think I needed to explain that, but clearly I was wrong.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry for the confusion.  The conversation started becauses the user was not able to connect to the Hitron, and thus had no way to control it.  I must have misunderstood.

Message 10 of 11

@CrimpOn wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. 

The thing is confusing from the start.

@CrimpOn wrote:

The conversation started becauses the user was not able to connect to the Hitron, and thus had no way to control it. 

That is because they had the thing in modem only mode.

There can be ways to access a device in that mode. I have a DM200 in modem mode and can in by detaching it from the local network and connecting directly from a PC. I don't know that that would work with the Hitron, but your suggestion of using a different LAN port might help if the user can work out what IP address the Hitron is on.

But that issue goes away when put back into modem/router mode.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7