Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I flush the DNS cache on my Orbi system?

mcbainpc
Aspirant

How do I flush the DNS cache on my Orbi system?

Hello, I am running an RBR50 with FW V2.5.1.8 and I've added a pi-hole machine to my network. Now I'd like to flush the DNS cache of the Orbi system so it must fetch all entries from the pi-hole box.

How can I flush the DNS cache of my router?  Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

As @FURRYe38 mentioned, the most obvious step is to reboot the router.  Orbi is built on the OpenWRT project.  I found this answer about flushing the DNS cache on it: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8160/how-to-clear-dns-cache-on-dd-wrt 

In addition, DNS cache entries "time out".  This is an internet requirement in case some resource changes IP addresses.  So, no matter where Orbi got a DNS entry, it will eventually time out and the next time a device ask, it will come from the Pi-hole.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Does rebooting the RBR do this? 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

As @FURRYe38 mentioned, the most obvious step is to reboot the router.  Orbi is built on the OpenWRT project.  I found this answer about flushing the DNS cache on it: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8160/how-to-clear-dns-cache-on-dd-wrt 

In addition, DNS cache entries "time out".  This is an internet requirement in case some resource changes IP addresses.  So, no matter where Orbi got a DNS entry, it will eventually time out and the next time a device ask, it will come from the Pi-hole.

Message 3 of 4
mcbainpc
Aspirant

Thank you for the excellent response.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7