Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I turnoff my old WiFi network?

kmav1
Aspirant

How do I turnoff my old WiFi network?

I have successfully setup my new Orbi RBR50 router with two Orbi RBS satellites at my home but my old WiFi network still shows up. I have a Verizon DSL modem made by Actiontec, Model:GT784WNV which was supplied by my internet provider. Can someone tell me if I should turn this network off and if so, how I can do this?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
kmav1
Aspirant

Re: How do I turnoff my old WiFi network?

Thank you. It worked! So now that I turned off the wifi radio on my Actiontec modem/router, what do I gain by having just one wifi(Orbi) network throughout my home? Is there any increase in the wifi strength or the overall speed of my internet? Or is the benefit more in terms of prevention of accidental switching into the 'old' network?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
cue003
Apprentice

First of you have to be able to log into your router with the up address and password from a web browser connected to your network.

See this link for the ip and potential info on the password to get in. https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/networking/atlas6609.htm

If that doesn't work, some DSL modem have the login credentials on the label/sticker found on the bottom of them.

Once you are logged in there should be a wireless setup tab. On that tab you should be able to turn off wireless. With the OFF radio button.

Hope this helps.
Message 2 of 4
kmav1
Aspirant

Thank you. It worked! So now that I turned off the wifi radio on my Actiontec modem/router, what do I gain by having just one wifi(Orbi) network throughout my home? Is there any increase in the wifi strength or the overall speed of my internet? Or is the benefit more in terms of prevention of accidental switching into the 'old' network?

Message 3 of 4
cue003
Apprentice

You could gain a couple of things:

1) more orbi strength possibly because of less potential interference from the other network (depending on wifi channels etc that were being used)

2) you gain possible prevention of accidental switching to the old network as you stated

3) you gain simplicity in having one network vs multiple

4) you gain faster IN HOME communication between devices for file transfers or computers or on premise video surveillance or other in home functions

5) you get Wifi blanket coverage (hopefully) throughout your home and in areas where you had little to no signal before you now have fully strength or much better coverage.

As far as your internet speed that is a function of your service provider. Your devices could actually be faster than what they were before Orbi but you are still limited when it comes to communication to the INTERNET based on the bandwidth you pay for.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7