Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do i connect an allowed device showing on the access control page as not currently connec...

Anklejive
Tutor

How do i connect an allowed device showing on the access control page as not currently connected.

I connected my new Orbi RBR50 system with two satellites yesterday.

I have been to the Access Control page and turned on Access Control. There are 13 wired devices "Allowed," but in the list under "View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network" are my two IMACs and my Android phones, but a bunch of other devices marked "unknown." So I had to connect my two iMacs with ethernet cables to get online.

In my phone's Setting, I keep getting the message: "Failed to obtain an IP address."

How do I get these devices connected to the network?

I am very frustrated because there is no 24/7 support. I'm hoping a kind soul in the community can help me.

Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How do i connect an allowed device showing on the access control page as not currently connec...

Hello Anklejve

In the access control you want to click the arrow beside View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network and then click add and add the mac address of the devices you need on the network.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
Anklejive
Tutor

Thanks for the answer, but I tried that. I get a small window that says the is a duplicate MAC address. I click OK and am back to the list of approved devices not connected to the network.

Message 3 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

you may want to disable access control connect the phone and then enable it again.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 11
Anklejive
Tutor

Thanks, DarrenM. I tried that several times. Any other ideas?

Message 5 of 11
TedHL
Tutor

You are not alone. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread and get the same "Duplicate MAC Address" dialogue window.

Only thing I can think of is the router has already detected the MAC address and thinks you are trying to add it as a duplicate. 

I would like to enable access control but can't until this gets straighted out.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 6 of 11
mjdavis328
Aspirant

I just installed RBK50 this evening.

I use ATT Uverse and I set the gateway as a Passthrough so use the Orbi as the main router.

I assigned the Orbi IP as 10.0.1.1  (this is same setup I used for previous Airport extreme and all functioned properly until the AE died)

I have a Speco DVR camera system attached via ethernet. I assigned it a fixed IP of 10.0.1.15.  I forwarded the appropriate ports (5445, 80) and confirmed they are also on 10.0.1.15.  When I set the DNS access on the Speco system I get a confirmation that it is connected to the internet and ports are forwarded properly.

However, I cannot access cameras via the internet.  When I go to Access control (I have it off) and see connected devices, it shows the DVR with correct MAC address as an "allowed device that is not connected."  I have reset everything multiple times, and cannot get it to connect.

I also have a Rachio sprinkler control and iAqualink pool control that are having same issue (both connected via WiFi, however).  But both show as "allowed and not connected."

Anyone else having this same issue??  Is it a problem with Orbi, my ATT gateway or other issue??

If I can't get these 3 things to work I will need to return this system as it needs to work with these as I use them daily.

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@mjdavis328 wrote:

I just installed RBK50 this evening.

I use ATT Uverse and I set the gateway as a Passthrough so use the Orbi as the main router.

I assigned the Orbi IP as 10.0.1.1  (this is same setup I used for previous Airport extreme and all functioned properly until the AE died)

I have a Speco DVR camera system attached via ethernet. I assigned it a fixed IP of 10.0.1.15.  I forwarded the appropriate ports (5445, 80) and confirmed they are also on 10.0.1.15.  When I set the DNS access on the Speco system I get a confirmation that it is connected to the internet and ports are forwarded properly.

However, I cannot access cameras via the internet.  When I go to Access control (I have it off) and see connected devices, it shows the DVR with correct MAC address as an "allowed device that is not connected."  I have reset everything multiple times, and cannot get it to connect.

I also have a Rachio sprinkler control and iAqualink pool control that are having same issue (both connected via WiFi, however).  But both show as "allowed and not connected."

Anyone else having this same issue??  Is it a problem with Orbi, my ATT gateway or other issue??

If I can't get these 3 things to work I will need to return this system as it needs to work with these as I use them daily.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
steve2502
Aspirant

Hi Anklejive,
From what I’ve experienced myself with this problem on other Netgear routers, you have to first delete the device from the “allowed but not connected” list before you can add it as an allowed device. The MAC address of the device you’re trying to add is probably one of the “unknown” devices on the list and therefore already attached. Try deleting all the “unknown” devices on the allowed list and then try to add your devices again, you should be able to connect without any errors.
Good luck
Message 9 of 11
ShawnB
Initiate

I was having simular issues with trying to set-up a Netgear range expander with my Nighthawk AC1900. On the Access Control page of the NETGEAR GENIE The range expander was in the " Allowed devices not currently connected to the network" tab. I tried everything to get it to connect, but nothing worked. I went into the wireless page and saw that the box for "Enable Smart Connect" was checked. I unchecked the box. Then I reset the expander. I went thru the expander set-up one more time and this time it connected. Hope this helps someone.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

We've found that with expanders, especially with NG's EX's, they have there own wifi handling and seems that the EXs prefer having two separate SSIDs at the host router, then let the EX expander either create one SSID thru it or separate. Seems odd behavior. I noticed this with my EX7700/7800s. They don't like Smart Connect enabled On the host router for some reason. 

@ShawnB wrote:

I was having simular issues with trying to set-up a Netgear range expander with my Nighthawk AC1900. On the Access Control page of the NETGEAR GENIE The range expander was in the " Allowed devices not currently connected to the network" tab. I tried everything to get it to connect, but nothing worked. I went into the wireless page and saw that the box for "Enable Smart Connect" was checked. I unchecked the box. Then I reset the expander. I went thru the expander set-up one more time and this time it connected. Hope this helps someone.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7