Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do i setup wired backhaul on the satellite? (RBK40)

yoda99be
Aspirant

How do i setup wired backhaul on the satellite? (RBK40)

I first set up the RBK40 router & satellite through the app. Both were in rather close proximity. Everything worked like it should. I could connect my phone to the the router and to the satellite, I could see what it connected to through the router's webinterface admin.

I then moved the satellite to its designated location on the second floor and as expected the wireless connection between router & satellite was not good. On the second floor I have ethernet, coming from a netgear gigabit switch downstairs. The switch is hooked up to the RBK router. When i create the ethernet backhaul by plugging the cable in the live satellite all the devices on my network disconnect.

Any help?

- I am on the latest firmware 2.0.0.56

- the router is in router-mode

- my network layout is as follows: ISP modem router --> (wan in) Orbi Router (lan out) --> Netgear switch --> all devices of which the Orbi Satellite is one through the backhaul

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Brain29
Apprentice

backhall is unsupported and broken for months 

-good luck 

Message 2 of 8
yoda99be
Aspirant

OK so I think I found out how to fix it.

First, when you are on version 2.0.0.56 and the router admin software says everything is up to date... it is not up to date. There is a version 2.1.2.18 well tucked away that you can install manually. This is what worked for me:

- I had the router & satellite working in close proximity with no backhaul to start with

- go here: https://www.netgear.com/support/download/ and search for RBK40

- download the SATELLITE IMAGE RBS40 2.1.2.18 and extract the .img somewhere

- download the ROUTER IMAGE RBr40 2.1.2.18 and extract the .img somewhere

- update the satellite manually FIRST

- then update the router manually

- here's the explanation how to update both manually: https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite 

- I then checked weither everything still worked through wireless backhaul

- then i connected the ethernet backhaul to LAN4 of the satellite (give it some time, during about 30 seconds my networked devices like my wired pc could not surf the web. But when i tried a bit afterwards everything worked!

- In the routeradmin i now see under Attached Devices that the Satellite is "wired"

My god that was hard... I was on the verge of returning this thing. Keep you posted after I move it again.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Wow, this stuff is mysterious. I had another user tell me in a private message that backhaul only worked for him when connected to LAN port 1. I don’t understand why, I assume all LAN ports just sit on an internal switch.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
Brain29
Apprentice

@yoda99bewrote:

First, when you are on version 2.0.0.56 and the router admin software says everything is up to date... it is not up to date. There is a version 2.1.2.18 well tucked away that you can install manually. This is what worked for me:

- I had the router & satellite working in close proximity with no backhaul to start with

- here's the explanation how to update both manually: https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite 

- then i connected the ethernet backhaul to LAN4 of the satellite (give it some time, during about 30 seconds my networked devices like my wired pc could not surf the web. But when i tried a bit afterwards everything worked!

- In the routeradmin i now see under Attached Devices that the Satellite is "wired"

My god that was hard... I was on the verge of returning this thing. Keep you posted after I move it again.

That version has not auto updated because it has been pulled and plauged with buggs that lead to the routers locking up and dropping connections randomly through out the day
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1506307#M23649

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if this works for you and if you get wired back haul going. 

Some have good luck with v18. Others not so much. 

@yoda99bewrote:

Message 6 of 8
yoda99be
Aspirant

Hi all

just wanted to give an update after about a week in with the wired backhaul on 2.1.2.18. Eveything has been rock solid (hope I dont jinx it by saying it 🙂 ).

I have my Orbi hooked up to my home automation controller "Homey" so I log the internet connectivity (green background), number of connected devices (blue graph), upload (lightblue) and download (red) speeds. So I am pretty sure that the Orbi hasnt been down while I was at work. Yeah... I completely nerded out on the graphs 😉

orbi-homey.jpg

I have been looking in the settings of the 2.1.2.18 settings and see lots of stuff I wanna try like Mu-mimo, fast handover etc but I think i'll just leave it all on the defaults. Just for the record, I dont have guest network or parental controls enabled so everything really "default".

Hope this helps other people.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working for you.

Enjoy.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7