Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do the Orbi devices recognize an Ethernet Backhaul setup?

WillyQ711
Aspirant

How do the Orbi devices recognize an Ethernet Backhaul setup?

Greetings,

So I wanted to know how the Orbi devices, specifically my current setup with the RBS40 router and RBR20 Satellite, sense that I want or have an ethernet setup as a mesh ethernet backhaul or backbone connected?? I thought I would have to reconfigure one of the ethernet ports to let the device know that I'm preferring the primary throughput to my router to be via ethernet, then just extend the network signal via WiFi via the satellites (I plan to add two more, same setup).

I currently have an Orbi setup in my home, where I also work. My home is approx 2200 Sqft, but with CBS wall throughout most sections, so the radio frequencies don't get to all parts of the structure very well. Having done a recent addition, I laid some extra Cat6 throughout, and therefore want to take advantage of a Backhaul setup so my satellites have a clean signal then just extend the network via WiFi in those areas where it sits. 

This Netgear page on the Orbi gives basic instructions on setup, but it seems that if this is correct, the devices just automatically sense that I want or have a backaul setup? Is that correct? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Thanks in advance!

WillyQ. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

All of mine have automatically set it up. And I've bebuilt my orbi setup several times. I used the RBK43 and RBK53 setups with both just auto-recognizing it. It required no input on my part

Message 2 of 10
WillyQ711
Aspirant

Well that sounds easy enough.... How can you verify within the UI of the device that the satellite is indeed using the ethernet port for connectivity to the primary router rather than the WiFi connectivity? 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend setting up the RBS vvia wireless first to ensure there connected to the RBR, then, connect them one at a time via ethernet. 

Will you be using any LAN switches in between the RBR and RBR? If so, what brand and model?

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@WillyQ711 wrote:

Well that sounds easy enough.... How can you verify within the UI of the device that the satellite is indeed using the ethernet port for connectivity to the primary router rather than the WiFi connectivity? 

The Orbi web interface, Attached Devices page will show the backhaul as "5G" or as "wired".

Message 5 of 10
WillyQ711
Aspirant

No, the satellites will be direct since the RBR has 3 ethernet ports. However, There will be a Netgear 8-Port Gigabit switch 300 series connected to the RBR as well for the other devices in the home (TV's, Printers, etc.). 3 of the ethernet ports on the RBR will go to the satellites, and the 4th to the switch. 

Message 6 of 10
WillyQ711
Aspirant

Yes, That's where I was going and no devices would show after 3 logins. I rebooted both the RBR and RBS, and now all my devices are showing. Must have had a cached page stuck or something. 

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@WillyQ711 wrote:

No, the satellites will be direct since the RBR has 3 ethernet ports. However, There will be a Netgear 8-Port Gigabit switch 300 series connected to the RBR as well for the other devices in the home (TV's, Printers, etc.). 3 of the ethernet ports on the RBR will go to the satellites, and the 4th to the switch. 

Which Orbi router is this again?  I count (1) WAN port and (3) LAN ports on my RBR50.

Message 8 of 10
WillyQ711
Aspirant

SOrry, my bad.... I happen to have an RBR40 as well at my office, but forgot that this one is a CBR40, or the Cable Modem version of that router. Hence the 4 ethernet ports (WAN signal comes in through the Coaxial port). 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Same thing for the CBK40 system. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7