Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do we connect 2.4Ghz wireless devices on the Orbi network?

kuact78
Aspirant

How do we connect 2.4Ghz wireless devices on the Orbi network?

I have problems getting my Yale door viewer and roomba to connect to my home's wireless network. The devices say they cannot detect the network. Can someone please help?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: How do we connect 2.4Ghz wireless devices on the Orbi network?

@kuact78 wrote:
I have problems getting my Yale door viewer and roomba to connect to my home's wireless network. The devices say they cannot detect the network. Can someone please help?

This is down to sloppy design on the part of Yale and roomba. They have not caught up with the rise of Mesh wifi, which puts 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz together for convenience.

This is a common issue around here.

Here is a long and complicated discussion of the issue:

How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network o... - NETGEAR Communities

You might be able to get simpler advice from Yale and Roomba. I bet you aren't the first person to hit this brick wall.

You could also search this community for Roomba and Yale.

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Another suggestion that appears to work in some cases is to temporarily tell the Orbi to stop "broadcasting SSID" on the 5G network.  This is easy on the web interface on the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Advanced Wireless Settings.  Tell the phone you are using to "forget" the Orbi WiFi network, then connect to it again by selecting from the list of WiFi nodes and entering the WiFi password.  After the setup is complete, the Yale or Roomba should be connected and you can go back and tell the Orbi to begin broadcasting the SSID on the 5G network.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned by CrimpOn, just temporarily disable the 5G SSID Broadcast, then setup your 2.4Ghz only devices. After they are setup, re-enable the 5G SSID broadcast then you'll be ready to go. 

@kuact78 wrote:

Message 4 of 10

@CrimpOn wrote:

Another suggestion that appears to work in some cases is to temporarily tell the Orbi to stop "broadcasting SSID" on the 5G network.  This is easy on the web interface on the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Advanced Wireless Settings. 

For those of a visual turn of mind:

Orbi5GHz.png

Message 5 of 10
kuact78
Aspirant

Thank you to all who have been very kind and generous to reply to me. I have tried the methods that you all have kindly advised. However, it still does not work. I have attached a screenshot of my wireless settings for your guidance. Please advise and help me.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

WMM should be enabled for 2.4Ghz...

Message 7 of 10
kuact78
Aspirant

Thank you FURRYe38 for your lightning fast response. I have tried but the 2.4 GHz device still cannot detect the 2.4GHz network and it still says that I'm on a 5 Ghz network.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I do not see that anyone (including me) mentioned that sometimes the smartphone that is running the device "app" to set up the device has to "forget" the Orbi WiFi network, then search for WiFi networks and join the Orbi again.  If the phone was connected at 5G, turning off the SSID broadcast may not be enough to get the phone to disconnect from 5G and reconnect to 2.4G.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7