Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do you increase Orbi RBK53 satellite speeds? Receiving poor speeds in one of my satellites...

LBaez
Aspirant

How do you increase Orbi RBK53 satellite speeds? Receiving poor speeds in one of my satellites...

Current Set up 

recently upgraded to +400 mps cable speed internet.

RBK53 (only using 2 towers at this time, 3rd tower totally off line not in use)

Live in a 1,650 sqft condo

Main router is in one corner of 1st floor level. 2nd unit in office second level opposite side. Units are connected via ethernet network CAT5e wiring that was place by previous owner of the condo.

Ive enabled all the options like beam force and all that as well.

My Network ethernet seems to work fine when i had 100mps internet. Once I upgraded to 400mps I came to notice that my satellite speeds where (to me) still poor only reaching areas of 100mps even less at time. 

My main rounter speeds are +400mps but when i test from onear my satellite I'm lucky ill get 100mps 

I tested speeds from the satellite with the network wire and they are poor 90-100mps

I tested speeds without the network ethernet in place I get 100-125mps

The question will be how do i get my satellite speeds up to par near to 400mps. Should i run the network wireless and add my 3rd tower? 

Replace the Network cable and might as well make it a CAT6? 

Truely just want faster speeds through out the house and especially in my office, how can I achieve higher speeds? 

TIA!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do you increase Orbi RBK53 satellite speeds? Receiving poor speeds in one of my satellites..

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@LBaez wrote:

Current Set up 

Main router is in one corner of 1st floor level. 2nd unit in office second level opposite side. Units are connected via ethernet network CAT5e wiring that was place by previous owner of the condo.

My Network ethernet seems to work fine when i had 100mps internet. Once I upgraded to 400mps I came to notice that my satellite speeds where (to me) still poor only reaching areas of 100mps even less at time. 

My main rounter speeds are +400mps but when i test from onear my satellite I'm lucky ill get 100mps 

I tested speeds from the satellite with the network wire and they are poor 90-100mps

The question will be how do i get my satellite speeds up to par near to 400mps. Should i run the network wireless and add my 3rd tower? 

Truely just want faster speeds through out the house and especially in my office, how can I achieve higher speeds? 

TIA!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 23

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How do you increase satellite speeds? Receiving poor speeds in one of my satellites...

On the Orbi web interface (http://orgilogin.net) how does the Attach Devices display say the satellite is connected?

What is being used to measure speed?

Message 2 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

Re: How do you increase satellite speeds? Receiving poor speeds in one of my satellites...

Yes, satellite says connected with green icon, I tested speeds from speedtest.net from my macbook. I also tested via the orbi app, but i know that the end result is from the main router unit which comes at +400mps. 

The issue is the satellite where im gettings around 100mps. At this time im thinking to test the network entirely wireless with all 3 towers functioning... 

I was just on here trying to get advice before I start figuring out 

Message 3 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: How do you increase Orbi RBK53 satellite speeds? Receiving poor speeds in one of my satellites..

Make sure that the network cable between the router and satellite is CAT5e or better (CAT6, CAT7) and in good condition.  If it is older CAT5, it cannot handle gigabit speed, and may only work at 100Mb/s.

As a test, can you unplug the wired backhaul that is using the cable and see if the wireless backhaul may be faster?  If the network cable is CAT5 or may have broken shielding within its twisted pairs of wires, it could be limiting your backhaul speed to 100Mb/s.

Message 4 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Indeed, there could be a cable issue which could be demonstrated by reverting to WiFi backhaul.  That's certainly an easy test to perform.

Just one note: Cat5, Cat5e, and Cat6 cables are "Unshielded Twisted Pair" (no shields).  The place I worked at installed thousands of Cat5e UTP jacks.  We had each jack "certified" using a Cat5e tester because installers can damage the cable (especially by crimping it) and the jack terminations are sensitive.  Our goal was to get full performance to the distance limit of 90 meters (300 ft) of wire.  Typical distances within a condo should be a fraction of that distance.

Message 5 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

I tested the satellite with out the ethernet network cable and it was slighly better but not much 100-125mps only using tower communication. My second option is to test the network wireless with all 3 towers on and see if my speeds come up to 300-400mps connected via ethernet from the satellites.

Message 6 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

Yea, been thinking maybe the networkcable is getting old or failing. Im 90% sure its running around outdoors, its hidden not much of a distance but still. I kinda want to find a device to test the networkcable. Any recommendations in an inexpesive one, perferably from amazon I can purchase at? 

Message 7 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Just a "silly question".  How long of a cable would you need to connect the router and satellite by stringing it "through the house"?

I have a 50' ethernet patch cable that allows me to connect my router upstairs to the satellite downstairs.  (down the hall, down the stairs, across the foyer, into the living room, etc.)  Cost me $12 on Amazon.  Don't use it when the family is home (angry looks, potential tripping hazard).  If you get the same results with a brand new, Cat6 patch cable then the installed cable is not the problem.

Message 8 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Easiest way to test your network cable is if you have a laptop with a gigabit ethernet port.  Connect the end that is currently connected to your satellite to your laptop and check the link speed of the wired LAN connection.  For Windows 10, you can find this under "Settings" -> "Network & Internet" and click on the "View your network properties" and look for the Link Speed to be 1000Mb/s.

Message 9 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

It is a bit of a distance to just run it in the home, just cause its not so close total opposite locations. it is a lot easier to just run it out side from the wall maybe need like 200ft with extra line to run the network.

Message 10 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

yes tried that tested from satellite

using speedtest.net

satellite connected to network LAN from main rounter to laptop 90-100mps

satellite wireless backhaul from main rounter 100-125mps

main rounter speeds test +450mps using orbi app 

Message 11 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

going to set up all 3 towers wireless backhaul and reboot my entire network / ISP 

didnt really think ill need all 3 towers for coverage but maybe i do to keep speeds at 300-400mps over all. Will have to check and see. 

Im also going to test main rounter unit speeds direct connected rounter - computer usind speedtest.net

Message 12 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

i have a mac tried looking around nothing i can note ill research a bit to find something similar thanks

Message 13 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

totally forgot so i tested the main network line thats coming from the main router unit max speeds about 125-130mps i do believe its the ethernet cable at this point.

im still setting up my 3 towers and having it wireless backhauled let see that speeds i get from now on..

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@LBaez wrote:

Current Set up 

TIA!

Message 15 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

modem is an arris sb6190 its suppose to be able to handle speeds of +400mb

not sure where is the 20/40 MHz Coexistence. cant find the only 40mhz only option as the only one is the enable option for 20/40 MHz Coexistence- im going to try and disable it and see how that goes and i did try messing with those options ill try a bit more thanks!

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes take the check mark out of the check box and this sets 40Mhz only. 

@LBaez wrote:

modem is an arris sb6190 its suppose to be able to handle speeds of +400mb

not sure where is the 20/40 MHz Coexistence. cant find the only 40mhz only option as the only one is the enable option for 20/40 MHz Coexistence- im going to try and disable it and see how that goes and i did try messing with those options ill try a bit more thanks!

Message 17 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

Thanks did a factory reset, set up all 3 towers now, and adjusted a bit on my settings left the 20/40 coexistance off. I do believe that may have done the trick on my satelitte speeds 

with out my network LAN connected to the office satelitte speeds are just under 300mps 

WITH the LAN connected just over +300mps im happy with this and thanks for your help/input 

Message 18 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone that help with this minor issue I had. Cheers!

Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Please mark your thread and solved so other will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 23
LBaez
Aspirant

Do you recommend beamforce, mu-mimo, and fastroaming to be enabled as well?

which is recommended to be on?

Message 21 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

I turned them all ON.  Seems like "a clue" to me that the new "AX" Orbi's come with these feature "on" and no way to turn them off.

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. They can be on. If you don't have any MIMO supporting client devices, then MIMO can be disabled until such time as when you get some that do. Beamforming should always be enabled. Fastroaming can be if you do lots of roaming around the home with your devices. 

@LBaez wrote:

Do you recommend beamforce, mu-mimo, and fastroaming to be enabled as well?

which is recommended to be on?

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7