Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do you set up an Orbi Satellite via Ethernet?

pmauro
Aspirant

How do you set up an Orbi Satellite via Ethernet?

I see that it's possible to ad an orbi Satellite via Ethernet but I don't see specific instructions on the process. When I power it on and plug it into my Ethernet backhaul it does not work.

The app suggests I follow the standard sync process but I wind up with a wireless connection back to the router and am unable to override it.
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, set up the satellite via wireless FIRST. Then after it's connected, connect the ethernet cable between the router and satellite and give it 5 minutes to reconfigure the change.

What FW version are you using?

Message 2 of 12
pmauro
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response! I was out of town and unable to get the info until now.

Router Firmware Version is V2.1.4.10

So I followed your instructions but the Satellite never switched over from wireless to wired when I plugged in the LAN cable from the router.

Now it looks like it does not even see the satellite in my Garage. This is strange becuase my reception is pretty good. 🤔

Image%202018-05-02%20at%208.05.38%20PM

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

IS the cable between the router and satelllite good? CAT6 recommended. 

Review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...

Message 4 of 12
pmauro
Aspirant

Sorry, lost track of this. The cable is fine - I used it for my prior WiFi installation.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset of the satellite. Remove the current satellite from the router. Reboot the router. 

Re-add the satellite via wifi first, should get a top led BLUE after it connects. 

Then try plugging in the satellite with the LAN cable, give 5 minutes, then look for the top led to turn BLUE...

See if that linked info helps as well...

Message 6 of 12
pmauro
Aspirant

I followed this procedure a couple of months ago and it didn't work.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Might try this again after doing a factory reset on the router and set up from scratch. Wired back is working for most...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 8 of 12
stark101
Aspirant

Hi,

what and where is daisy chain? I've previously sufferred from this exact issue and ended up having to factory reset which has just given me other issues to sort out now.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ready-to-chuck-this-system-through-the-window/m-p/1656847#M441...

@stark101 wrote:

Hi,

what and where is daisy chain? I've previously sufferred from this exact issue and ended up having to factory reset which has just given me other issues to sort out now.

Message 10 of 12
pmauro
Aspirant

Looks like daisy chain was checked the whole time.

I have some new information that may help. I was troublshooting some Sonos isues with their support and they discovered that some of my devices were assigned a public IP and some private. It looks like the devices that were connected to my Garage Orbi were assigning public IPs. I unplugged the lan cable and let the Orbi fall back to wireless backhaul. Then it assigned private IPs and now all my problems are fixed.

At this point I din't think it's worth trying to get the lan cable to work anymore.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the satellite connected when wired? Did you have it connected to the Orbi router? If so, any devices connected to the sattellite should have had a private IP address from the Orbi router. 

Wired back haul works only if you have the satellite(s) connected to the Orbi router. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7