Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do you set up an access point for the Orbi RBK50v2, so that I can access the Orbi from my PC

josephg304
Tutor

How do you set up an access point for the Orbi RBK50v2, so that I can access the Orbi from my PC

I cannot access my Orbi RBK50v2 through my computer, using (1) orbilogin.com, (2) orbilogin.net, or (3) the ip address of the Orbi router (192.168.0.5, assigned by my modem).  I've tried multiple browsers, and I've cleared the cache on each of the browsers. When I attempt to ping the Orbi from my computer through a command prompt, I get request timed out.

I downloaded the Orbi app to my Pixel 4XL phone, and I can log in and see information on my Orbi.

The Orbi seems to be working, as my devices using wifi can connect to the Orbi and connect to the Internet through the Orbi.

I read in another discussion on this Forum that I need to configure the Orbi as an Access Point, in order to access the Orbi through my computer.  Using the phone app, I do not see anywhere where I can configure the Orbi as an access point.

Please give me some guidance on how I should proceed from here.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
josephg304
Tutor

Re: How do you set up an access point for the Orbi RBK50v2, so that I can access the Orbi from my PC

Thank you all for your quick responses.  Very much appreciated.

I was able to configure my Orbi to an Access Point, and now I can login to the Orbi from my computer.

My ISP provider is TDS Telecom, and it is a fiber connection.  My modem from TDS is an Actiontec, and I have its wi-fi capability disabled.  My home network has direct Ethernet cable runs from the ActionTec modem to my TV box, my media computer, and my main network switch.  My Orbi is connected to the network through one of the network switches.

For whatever reason, TDS assigned the gateway IP address on the ActionTec modem as 192.168.0.1, and all of my connected devices have IP addresses in the order of 192.168.0.x.  My Orbi has been assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.3.

The Orbi's main unit and satellite give me excellent wifi coverage and strength across my entire 2.3 acres property.  I believe that I made the right choice in purchasing the Orbi, and this vibrant support community makes my choice even better.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How do you set up an access point for the Orbi RBK50v2, so that I can access the Orbi from my PC

@josephg304 wrote:

I cannot access my Orbi RBK50v2 through my computer, using (1) orbilogin.com, (2) orbilogin.net, or (3) the ip address of the Orbi router (192.168.0.5, assigned by my modem).  I've tried multiple browsers, and I've cleared the cache on each of the browsers. When I attempt to ping the Orbi from my computer through a command prompt, I get request timed out.

The most likely problem is that IP 192.168.0.5 is on the "WAN side" of the Orbi, which leads me to wonder "how is this all connected?"  Are the Orbi and the PC both connected to the internet modem/router?

If that is the case, then the Orbi router's firwall will reject all attempts to connect from the "WAN side".  Likewise, the ISP's modem/router will not resolve the URL "orbilogin.net".  (The Orbi router intercepts calls to that address from its LAN side and returns its own IP address.)

Can you please clarify how these devices are connected?

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@josephg304 wrote:

I downloaded the Orbi app to my Pixel 4XL phone, and I can log in and see information on my Orbi.

The Orbi seems to be working, as my devices using wifi can connect to the Orbi and connect to the Internet through the Orbi.

I read in another discussion on this Forum that I need to configure the Orbi as an Access Point, in order to access the Orbi through my computer.  Using the phone app, I do not see anywhere where I can configure the Orbi as an access point.

Thanks in advance.

What modem assigned 192.168.0.5? Was it your ISP modem? What brand and model is your ISP modem?

It's been my experience that ISP modems generally assign 192.168.1.1.

I'm assuming that orbilogin.com and orbilogin.net are defaulted in the code to reflect 19.168.1.1.

And you say you can't access the Orbi by going to 192.168.0.5? That would tell me that 192.168.0.5 is not your Orbi IP address.

Look in the app and see what IP address it is showing.

You should not need to configure the Orbi as an access point, to access it thought your PC.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

@josephg304 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 6
josephg304
Tutor

Thank you all for your quick responses.  Very much appreciated.

I was able to configure my Orbi to an Access Point, and now I can login to the Orbi from my computer.

My ISP provider is TDS Telecom, and it is a fiber connection.  My modem from TDS is an Actiontec, and I have its wi-fi capability disabled.  My home network has direct Ethernet cable runs from the ActionTec modem to my TV box, my media computer, and my main network switch.  My Orbi is connected to the network through one of the network switches.

For whatever reason, TDS assigned the gateway IP address on the ActionTec modem as 192.168.0.1, and all of my connected devices have IP addresses in the order of 192.168.0.x.  My Orbi has been assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.3.

The Orbi's main unit and satellite give me excellent wifi coverage and strength across my entire 2.3 acres property.  I believe that I made the right choice in purchasing the Orbi, and this vibrant support community makes my choice even better.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working well. Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7