Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do you write down changed settings before automatic firmware update?

JoeM845
Luminary

How do you write down changed settings before automatic firmware update?

The firmware update instructions from Netgear say to write down all changed settings before updating. I do not know how to do this for automatic updates.

What procedure does Netgear suggest?

Is there any way to get a human-readable export/backup of the configuration?

Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How do you write down changed settings before automatic firmware update?

That is correct backing up the config file will save any of those settings you had in the past and can load that on the new firmware if they are lost. If the firmware has a drastic change in it the old config file could cause issues or not work properly so its always good to remember or write down your settings.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You are able to back up the config file before updating anything in the Advanced tab- Administration- backup settings.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
JoeM845
Luminary

I know I can backup the configuration before a firmware upgrade or any time. I always thought that this was a safety provision in case I had to get back to where I was if the firmware upgrade didn't go. Are you saying that I could use the backup under the old firmware to restore the configuration under the new firmware, if needed?

I don't see any mention of the configuration backup in the release notes firmware installation/upgrade instructions. They say to write down any changes. I though they meant that I might have to manully remake any changes after a firmware upgrade.

My previous reply got lost somwehere.

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

That is correct backing up the config file will save any of those settings you had in the past and can load that on the new firmware if they are lost. If the firmware has a drastic change in it the old config file could cause issues or not work properly so its always good to remember or write down your settings.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7