Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How does Orbi "know" what is attached?

CrimpOn
Guru

How does Orbi "know" what is attached?

I just happened to be looking at my Orbi Router and noticed that the list of attached devices changes every couple of seconds.  First 16, then 15, then 16, then 15, etc.  Turns out I have two identical WiFi security cameras and one of them is constantly appearing and disappearing.  They both have IP addresses assigned in the LAN Setup.  They actually WiFi to a Nighthawk in AP mode that is wired to the Orbi, so they show up as "Wired".

So, does anybody know how an Orbi "knows" that a device is connected and what would make a device appear to be there, and then not be there?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How does Orbi "know" what is attached?

Hello CrimpOn

Well orbi would know what is connected because the router is assigning every device a IP address so it gets a internet connection. Not sure why it would disappear if the unit is still connected.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How does Orbi "know" what is attached?

That's what's puzzling.  I have Orbi assign IP's to the WiFi cameras because I want to know where they are, and possibly reach them from the Internet.  There are lots of other devices that have assigned IP's, but do not show as connected unless they are powered on (my old Wii, for example).  I have other devices that simply get IP's from Orbi's DHCP server.  Watching the "Attached Devices" display suddenly get one line bigger, then one line smaller, etc. is just goofy.

I was thinking there might be some sort of "handshake" the Orbi does with devices.  I'm pretty sure WiFi communications include more than just data frames.  Since these cameras are attached to my Nighthawk, which is wired into the Orbi, I'm just at a loss.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7