Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How does satellite ethernet connections work with and with ethernet backhaul

Sdiver2489
Apprentice

How does satellite ethernet connections work with and with ethernet backhaul

I set up my orbi and had a general question about the ethernet ports on the satellite. I assume these act to take internet access from the wireless connection and clients connect through there. My downside is twofold. First, The main router only has 4 ethernet compared to my previous 5 so I need to get a small switch to expand this a bit. Second, the satellite orbi ended up right next to my office computer which has wired ethernet access. I was thinking about connecting the ethernet to do ethernet backhaul and was wondering if this would then cause the satellite orbi to act as a wired switch so that my devices in my office aren't forced to go over the wireless connection. This would allow me to replace the switch I currently have there and use it to expand the ports on the router.

As a side question...I noticed my PC which connects to the router through a switch now takes quite a long time to discover the network to the point where it has internet. Is this just because I haven't set up a static IP like I used to have or is there something else I should look into?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How does satellite ethernet connections work with and with ethernet backhaul

This Kb shows all the ways you can set up the backhaul.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the link buy that wasn't really my question. I understand that the wired backhaul can be done and I might try this. What I was wondering is IF I connect via this method are further devices connected to the Orbi satellite effectively wired ethernet to the main router? I guess the real question is is there any difference between connecting a computer to a switch connected to the Orbi router vs. connecting a computer to the satellite Orbi connected to the main router via the ethernet backhaul.

I hope this makes sense. I am basically wondering if I can get rid of the switch that is connected to my orbi router and instead just use the satellite as a switch.

Router---(wired ethernet)---Satellite---(wired ethernet)---Computer

vs.

|---(wired ethernet)----switch---(wired ethernet)---PC

Router ---|

|---(wired ethernet)----satellite

Hopefully my ASCII art shows up ok...but the core of the question is if the satellite connected to the router performs the same as a switch connected to the router for wired devices.

Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes the other ethernet ports on the satellite should provide connections like a switch if I am understanding your question correctly.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 5
linkwrt
Guide

wrote:

I set up my orbi and had a general question about the ethernet ports on the satellite. I assume these act to take internet access from the wireless connection and clients connect through there. My downside is twofold. First, The main router only has 4 ethernet compared to my previous 5 so I need to get a small switch to expand this a bit. Second, the satellite orbi ended up right next to my office computer which has wired ethernet access. I was thinking about connecting the ethernet to do ethernet backhaul and was wondering if this would then cause the satellite orbi to act as a wired switch so that my devices in my office aren't forced to go over the wireless connection. This would allow me to replace the switch I currently have there and use it to expand the ports on the router.

As a side question...I noticed my PC which connects to the router through a switch now takes quite a long time to discover the network to the point where it has internet. Is this just because I haven't set up a static IP like I used to have or is there something else I should look into?

It's simple.

Power off RBS50, connect lan cable from the RBR50 to RBS50 port 1 then power on RBS50. Satellite will be configured default as access point. Other lan ports can be used like a switch.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7