Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How i solved 90% of my "some devices keep disconnecting / reconnecting" problem on my

L0ck13
Initiate

How i solved 90% of my "some devices keep disconnecting / reconnecting" problem on my ORBI setup

(no guarantee, worked for my home network, scroll down for applied solutions)

As many folks on this forum i have a love hate relationship with my ORBi setup.

The wireless speeds are amazing,its the first router setup that delivers me the full 200mbit of my provider while staying wireless with all round amazing coverage in and around the house.

It puts the dual band router i got from my provider to shame that barley hit 20-40mbit and timed out a lot when multi devices where connected.

I notices that a few devices although great speeds kept losing there connection and then suddenly reconnects again at random multiple times through the day.

Devices that show no problem and have rock solid connection :

Multiple pcs and laptops with a intel wifi solution ranging from modern to old wifi chips.

2x Nintendo switch, no problems staying connected.

1x canon wireless network printer that is available to all devices on the network.

Multiple Android phones and tablets running android 4, 5 or 6 stock and non stock android.

Troublesome devices that tends to lose connection or reconnects at random :

1 new windows 10 notebook (Realtek wifi solution) this one is the worst, keeps dropping connection a lot.

Couple of newer android devices running android 7,8 or 9 doesnt matter if its stock or non stock.

It was all a mystery to me, and as many folks i tried every solution and setting on my ORBI (disable / enable mu mimo, beam forming, fast roaming, enable disable backhaul, playing around with channels etc etc)
As it is not clear what is causing the problem (log doesnt show any errors) i also tried and see if i could fix the problem on the devices themself.

Tried many many apps for the android devices tweaked and tried every setting possible in the menus on the devices .

For the windows notebook i tried all settings in device manager,disable / enable power saving, different drivers and flashing the bios of the notebook.

Nothing worked and all solutions where total worthless.

This is what i did and now i only experience maybe 1 dc throughout the day on some devices if any at all.

Removed all metal objects around the router and satellite.

Factory reset with pencil on both router and satellite.

Re-flashed Router and satellite to older FW and back up to current.

Changing IP range from ORBI Router 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.178.1

And probably the thing that mostly had impact : Moving the satellite further away from Router to a point that ORBI Router even may show the satellite connection as poor.

From 25 to 30 feet apart to 30-40 feet apart.

Changing Broadcast power 2.4ghz from 100 to 50%.

I hope this solution may help some people as well, its not a 100 % fix but at least its to a point that nobody complains anymore or feels obstructive.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How i solved 90% of my "some devices keep disconnecting / reconnecting" problem on my

Glad it's working better. Thanks for the info and letting us know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 2 of 3
ekhalil
Master

@L0ck13 wrote:
And probably the thing that mostly had impact : Moving the satellite further away from Router to a point that ORBI Router even may show the satellite connection as poor.

From 25 to 30 feet apart to 30-40 feet apart.

Changing Broadcast power 2.4ghz from 100 to 50%.

Thanks for the information.

I agree with you that this might be the main thing that gave you improvement. Since the router and satellite are working on the same frequency the closer they are to each other the greater the interference on the wifi signals.

Getting them far away and reducing the transmit power will reduce this interference.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7