Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How is this product so bad?

Slun80
Star

How is this product so bad?

How is it possible?  I was so excited to use this solution.  Went to Costco with a smile on my face.  Felt good about buying it and carrying it out of the store.  Told a bunch of friends and family about it once I had it set up.  Had solid coverage over 6200 sq ft with ethernet backhaul.  Showed people who came over to the house.  

It's over.  

The latest firmware update caused yet another issue and left me and my wife without Internet access in an inopportune time.  We both work from home.  Our needs are simple - reliable wifi coverage throughout the house with about ten devices (phones, tablets, TV's, video games) at our peak.  

I had a better experience with a $40 Linksys router.

Luckily I purchased this at Costco and their very liberal return policy will allow me to forget about this.  Picked up Velop yesterday.  Working fine.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 28
tsig
Luminary

that's the thing.  For some of us (and probably most users) it works just fine.  I have had no issues thru two firmware updates.  

Message 2 of 28
Slun80
Star

Lucky!
Message 3 of 28
budy
Luminary

No, no luck involved, as far as I can tell. I have installed three different Orbi setups, one RBK53 and two RBK40 and none of them shows any of the issues, which are widely discussed on this forum. All of them are in very different environments, one with wired backhaul and two with wireless backhaul. Admittedly, all of the Orbis are running in AP mode, since all networks are DSL-based and connect via their resp DSL routers - all of them being FritzBoxes, to the internet. My RBR40 has only rebootet, when I had it installing a new fw.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 28
larryindublin
Luminary

Must be frustrating but I'm also now 6 days running on latest firmware and other than power outages, would have been up 30+ days on previous. 30 devices, mix of apple Android TV's home automation... Curb to backyard coverage. Solid as a rock. Never been happier with Orbi. RBK53 Costco kit. Default settings except for opendns and agressive roaming. Have never done a full reset since day 1.
Message 5 of 28
budy
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@budy wrote:

No, no luck involved, as far as I can tell. I have installed three different Orbi setups, one RBK53 and two RBK40 and none of them shows any of the issues, which are widely discussed on this forum. All of them are in very different environments, one with wired backhaul and two with wireless backhaul. Admittedly, all of the Orbis are running in AP mode, since all networks are DSL-based and connect via their resp DSL routers - all of them being FritzBoxes, to the internet. My RBR40 has only rebootet, when I had it installing a new fw.

@budy

AP mode, don't make me laugh!

If you want to buy an Orbi and install it as an expensive wireless bridge, that 's your choice. However don't get on here defending the product when your not deploying the Orbi/Orbi Pro as it was intended to be deployed, and that is the role of a fully functional Router.

You do know, that laughing is healthy, don't you? 😉

Come on… other companies don't get the routing part right as well. I could tell you about numerous flaws and security holes that gape in ASUS, TP-Link and Linksys routers. I have always separated routing from wireless and I only bought the Orbi for it's wireless performance and - and this is where might be even choking - it's reliability.

Even if I could, I wouldn't use the router part of the Orbi, since it lacks too many features, which my main router provides. I understand though, that there are issues with the routing part, however, the real reasons for those remain unclear until someone with sufficient kowlegde on debugging tcp networking, will have taken a close look as of why.

Lastly, I am not defending the product per se, but I intend to priovide additional information to help isolate the issue(s). You don't blame me for not throwing out my router to dive down that rabbit hole just for fun, do you? As I said on another post, I have installed three different Orbi setups and none of those is experiencing these kind of issue, but all of them are running in AP mode and have a very solid router in front of them.

Message 6 of 28
tsig
Luminary

@Case850

Do you think that the majority of Orbi users are on this forum?  Me neither.  

Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

3 months in and no problems with my Orbi system. Lots of gaming and video streaming. Zero issues.

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I do. At least I have an Orbi system. 

Message 9 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck with your thinking. Have a great evening. 

Message 10 of 28
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Having an NG 8500 doesn't mean your a network expert either. If your not going to help contribute than why not move along. Im sure people are here to get help and others are here to help out. Stop being a troll, either help or move out!!!. Your posts show your age and immaturity. 

Message 11 of 28
Slun80
Star

Strange responses!  

This forum is FULL of people having issues each and every time a firmware update is released.  I spent more time researching issues over the past three months using Orbi than I have ever spent on any issues with any product I've ever owned.  By far!  And all I had connected to this stupid thing is some phones, tablets, a couple TV's and an Xbox One. 

I think it's great that many users aren't experiencing any issues.  Some people buy unreliable vehicles and don't have issues either - that doesn't make the product great.  

I refuse to spend a few hours every month on my Wifi connectivity.  As I stated in my original post, I had less issues with a $40 Linksys router located in the basement of my 6200 square foot home than I did with Orbi.  That's an issue for me, and it's obviously an issue for hundreds if not thousands of other people.  Time to own that fact, Netgear.     

Message 12 of 28
tsig
Luminary

@Slun80 wrote:

Strange responses!  

This forum is FULL of people having issues each and every time a firmware update is released.  I spent more time researching issues over the past three months using Orbi than I have ever spent on any issues with any product I've ever owned.  By far!  And all I had connected to this stupid thing is some phones, tablets, a couple TV's and an Xbox One. 

I think it's great that many users aren't experiencing any issues.  Some people buy unreliable vehicles and don't have issues either - that doesn't make the product great.  

I refuse to spend a few hours every month on my Wifi connectivity.  As I stated in my original post, I had less issues with a $40 Linksys router located in the basement of my 6200 square foot home than I did with Orbi.  That's an issue for me, and it's obviously an issue for hundreds if not thousands of other people.  Time to own that fact, Netgear.     

Since you appear to have the numbers, what percentage of people who own the Orbi system have had problems?

Message 13 of 28
Slun80
Star

How do I appear to have "the numbers"?  Unless there's a  to count the number of people dissatisfied with the product and you compare that to the number of products sold (which Netgear would have to provide), "the numbers" would be difficult to guess.  What I can plainly see is the dozens of complaint threads on Netgear's own forum site, including a thread that includes hundreds of posts asking for a refund.  There are hundreds of posts on here discussing users spending hours and hours and hours on the phone with Netgear support with no solution.  There are hundreds of posts each and every time a firmware update releases from users who are left without Internet.  There are hundreds of posts discussing having to power cycle the system entirely too often just to maintain the network.  There are hundreds of posts from users who seem much more network-savvy than I am, talking about giving up on the product and moving to a competitor.  

Why are there so many users on here defending the product?  "Works fine for me", "No issues here", and "Must be your setup" are not solutions to a product that is inherently unreliable.  And it's funny how so many users have to use their satellites in AP mode.  I don't need a $550 router with two access points. 

Message 14 of 28
budy
Luminary

@Slun80 wrote:
Why are there so many users on here defending the product?  "Works fine for me", "No issues here", and "Must be your setup" are not solutions to a product that is inherently unreliable.  And it's funny how so many users have to use their satellites in AP mode.  I don't need a $550 router with two access points. 

I am not defending the product and I never stated something like "Must be your setup", as there has never been enough hard data available to do so. I am using my Orbi system in AP mode, since I was deliberately not shopping for an all-in-one solution, which the Orbi wouldn't have been anyway, since it lacks a DSL modem, which my connection needs.

I was just shopping for a wireless mesh product and the Orbi received quite a good rating from a well-known and respected computer magazine, which made my buy this. Even if I wanted to put the Orbi's router part to a test, I couldn't do that and I don't see the fun fact in that one.

However, if I had to dive deep into diagnosing such an issue, and this is nothing, any customer should have to do… but, if I had to… the first thing I'd rule out would be the routing part in the Orbi and put it into AP mode, to be able to get that one of my list - or maybe not, if the problem should then cease.

Message 15 of 28
Ulairi
Luminary

@tsig wrote:

Since you appear to have the numbers, what percentage of people who own the Orbi system have had problems?

I can help with this. 

There are 4,473 reviews - for all Orbi Products - on Amazon.  There are 642 'Critical Reviews' (scored a 1 or a 2) which is 21%.  Most critical reviews seem to be related to the issues being discussed on this forum. People writing the critical reviews are generally happy with the hardware and range performance but slam the software/firmware. 

For comparison:

The Linksys Velop has 359 Critical out of 3,792 (9.4%) and its far from good, either.  But it's over twice as less 'critically reviewed'.

The Eero has 117 Critical out of 1,525 (7.6%), three times less 'critically reviewed'.

The bottom line is that 1 in 5 customers are unsatisfied with the Orbi family of products. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 16 of 28
tsig
Luminary

@Ulairi

Close, but no cigar.  1 of 5 reviews on AMAZON are critical of Orbi.  I didn't buy my system thru Amazon and didn't leave a review on Amazon.  

Message 17 of 28
budy
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@budy

>>> I am using my Orbi system in AP mode, since I was deliberately not shopping for an all-in-one solution, which the Orbi wouldn't have been anyway, since it lacks a DSL modem, which my connection needs.

I just saw Message 4, all FritzBoxes DSL modem routers. If you believe in the product so much, why don't you run the FritzBoxes in Modem only mode and the Orbi in Router mode?

Because the Fritzbox doesn't support that. It is possible to do, but why should I? The Fritzbox makes an excellent router and it also hosts my VoIP, which would otherwise cause me to forward all kinds of ports into my local LAN. As I said, I am not someone who looks for all-in-one solutions. This has never appealed to me, be it at home or at work. These days manufacturers are trying to establish their solutions as  platforms and they tend to overload their products with half-baked features, when they should probably focus on what their skills really are.

So don't blame me for not using the router in the Orbi. I would always consider a seperate router just because, I can than choose and exchange it, as I wish, without having to break my remaining network. Router and Wireless don't necessarily belong into the product. And despite having spent way less on my RBK40 (one router, one sat), the Fritzbox doesn't come very cheap either, but is has never failed my for the last5 years, so yay… good product.

Message 18 of 28
Farscape
Guide

I've spent too much time with troubleshooting, performing factory resets, unchecking "features", with both the Orbi and Orbi Pro (2 satellites each).

The Orbi Pro was working fine for a little over a month in AP mode before satellite wireless issues started happening as was happening with the regular Orbi when it was installed.

My issue with both is that the wireless from the satellites would basically stop working once a day or once every 2 days.  Turning the satellites off and then on again to restart would restore the wireless connection.  Funny thing is that anything plugged in to the satellite jacks were still working while wireless would not.  The main Orbi and Orbi Pro units did not have an issue.

The family couldn't it anymore so I reinstalled a Google Wifi 3-puck system that while not matching the "speed" of the Orbi/Orbi Pro by the satellites, doesn't have any wireless issues, plus the app management is so much more useful than the Orbi app.

Peace in the household again, though now I'm thinking about installing a Ubiquiti Unifi setup since I'm having Cat6 run through parts of the house.

Message 19 of 28
netadmn
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

@Ulairi

You totally miss the point. Credibility is everything in building a Brand.

"96% of unhappy customers won't complain to you, but will tell 15 friends"

This! I had such a great experience and coverage for 1 week and told several people that I knew had coverage problems. I purchased mine because it was getting great reviews on smallnetbuilder, the IoT podcast and other tech related podcasts I listen to. I was proud of my purchase and even volunteered to help a neighbor setup theirs. Now I hate it and I'm intentionally telling everyone that I previously told I liked it and apologizig to my neighbor on behalf of netgear. I should have known better than to trust podcast advertisements. Now I'm warning anyone who will listen to be cautious and watch the forums to see if/when problems ever get resolved. In the meantime I'm spending hours upon hours searching for a reliable replacement so I don't get hit with this crap again.

Message 20 of 28
Slun80
Star

You don't have to purchase on Amazon to leave a review on Amazon.  I purchased at Costco and left a positive review on Amazon after about two weeks of flawless use.  That review has since been changed.  

Message 21 of 28
tsig
Luminary

@Slun80 wrote:

You don't have to purchase on Amazon to leave a review on Amazon.  I purchased at Costco and left a positive review on Amazon after about two weeks of flawless use.  That review has since been changed.  

Just tried.  Wouldn't let me, got this:

Sorry, we are unable to accept your review of this product.

This product currently has limitations on submitting reviews. 
Message 22 of 28
Slun80
Star

Sneaky Netgear!  I guess they don't want angry users who purchased from any of the other hundreds of retailers to be able to review on their biggest retailer and ruin their profitability!

Message 23 of 28
MicahD
Star

Same experience.  Orbi was great... for about two months.  Now it's a constant headache.

'Can't find printer' errors abound

Wifes cell phone constantly "Can't connect to internet"

Webpage constantly "Resolving host" errors for minutes on end

Netflix regularly loses connection on most devices.

I agree, if you have had "no problems at all" count yourself lucky.  I wasted $350 on this system and am regretting it deeply.

Message 24 of 28
netadmn
Apprentice

@tsig wrote:

@Slun80 wrote:

Just tried.  Wouldn't let me, got this:

Sorry, we are unable to accept your review of this product.

This product currently has limitations on submitting reviews. 

It works today... They just got a huge influx of angry people writing terrible reviews that they had to verify they were legit reviews before  adding more.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7