Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How many Orbi's can I return? I bet a whole bunch.

jimbobbob
Tutor

How many Orbi's can I return? I bet a whole bunch.

Trying to add an RBS50 to a RBK50 system.  Instructions say turn it on, wait until light is solid white.  Today's device arrived, took 10 minutes to stop flashing, then turned red.  Before I even moved to step 1 or trying to start a sync.  Reset the device, same behavior.  Pissed me off.  Back in the box it went.  I suspect the instructions are wrong.  But if they are, I'm going to return quite a few before I look for further advice.

Anybody know off hand if these instructions are wrong?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How many Orbi's can I return? I bet a whole bunch.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your connecting the Orbi router to?

Did you attempt to log into the routers IP address at 192.168.1.1 with a web browser with LAN cable PC connected to the orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard?

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jimbobbob wrote:

Trying to add an RBS50 to a RBK50 system.  Instructions say turn it on, wait until light is solid white.  Today's device arrived, took 10 minutes to stop flashing, then turned red.  Before I even moved to step 1 or trying to start a sync.  Reset the device, same behavior.  Pissed me off.  Back in the box it went.  I suspect the instructions are wrong.  But if they are, I'm going to return quite a few before I look for further advice.

Anybody know off hand if these instructions are wrong?

Red...?  As in maybe too far from router..??  I'd move it closer to the router (if possible) and try again.

Message 3 of 7
jimbobbob
Tutor

I already have a functioning RBK50 setup - router and satellite.  I'm impressed with that system, although I recall the satellite on that system did not go according to instructions either (although I might be remembering incorrectly).  That system's working great.  New satellite is going in only 20 feet from the prior one (I want access to the Ethernet ports in this location). 

But why did this satellite boot straight up into disconnected mode, when included instructions say it will come up with solid white light?

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

May have been in a bad configuration out of the box.

Does the Satellite work now?

Message 5 of 7
jimbobbob
Tutor

I have the first satellite working, waiting for a replacement of the 2nd one to arrive.  I'm waiting with baited breath to see if replacement boots the same way, I have my doubts about whether these legitimately still boot up the way the instructions say.  I held the reset in for about 5 seconds until LED flashed, then power cycled, but Ring Light still came up same way.  Unfortunately, sparse instructions don't say anything about reset procedure, and I'm pretty unhappy that I might have to go dig through a troubleshooting procedure.  The conceptual promise is something like a 2 minute setup here for additional satellites.

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

A new, unpaired, add-on satellite will come up flashing white while booting, then glow solid white. At that point you can pair it using the pairng process.  An add-on satellite does not automatically pair, like the satellite that comes in a kit with a router.

If you happened to pres the Sync button on the back of the satellite, but did not press the sync button on the back of the router, then the satellite would try to pair and turn magenta when it fails. The satellite would also turn magenta if the pairing process fails, due to poor signal.

A reset requires inserting a paperclip into the reset hole, and holding it in until the LED flashes.  You might try another reset and hold the reset in more like 30 seconds.

You might also try moving the satellite to within a few feet of ther router during the pairing process (assuming you get that far.)  I have had to do this with mine to get it to pair.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7